Tibe Mic solid state Pre vs Solid State Mic and Tube Pre

homestudioguy

For someone starting out, would it be better to have a Tube mic with a solid state pre or a solid state mic and a tube pre?
Me thinks SSmic w/Tube Pre......
BG

homestudioguy said:
BG

Me too. It took me about 1.7 seconds to come up with that answer........

(assuming, of course, a "starting out" budget is at work here...)

It doesnt matter which you get tube mic to tube preamp or any other combo.
What does matter is junk mic to junk preamp Junk preamp to junk mic.

Quality is quality tube or not.

it's a matter of sound man. that's it. put as many tubes in the chain as you want. it does'nt matter. you either like the sound or you don't.

you could get more flexibility with a tube preamp. of course it's important what sort of preamp it is. a tube mic can sometimes be a PITA with the wrong sort of preamp .

all recording gear is overrated. Work on making the room you record in better. Even if you have to make it all temporary because you don't own the place.

$1000 pres and mics don't sound good until they get a decent SOURCE put into them. -and that might including learning to play the guitar first. ;)

Aw Man!

Outlaws said:
$1000 pres and mics don't sound good until they get a decent SOURCE put into them. -and that might including learning to play :eek: the guitar first. ;)
This is NOT a good thing! :D

I understand the equipment quality piece, but I see a lot of comments relative which mic to buy first and I believe this question re: SSmic/Tube pre might help a little in that decision.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BG/HSG

homestudioguy said:
This is NOT a good thing! :D

I understand the equipment quality piece, but I see a lot of comments relative which mic to buy first and I believe this question re: SSmic/Tube pre might help a little in that decision.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BG/HSG

Sorry I posted a suggestion outside the circle jerk of gear whores.

It totally depends on *which* mic and *which* preamp. I don't think you can make generalizations about combining whole classes of gear.

What mics and preamps are you considering?

That's not a question that could be anwered in any meaningful way.

It's like asking, "Which guitar is better for a beginner - one with a rosewood fretboard or one with a maple fretboard?"

For a pro or semi pro sound guy, Sonic's point is quite valid. But for someone just starting out at home it is probably overkill to try and split that kind of hair with a total newbie. Most rookies just want to get something recorded and will not know the subtle differences in sound you get by comparing pre's to pre's and mics to mics until a few years after they get some rust cleaned off their heads!

A total rookie will learn more with a reliable SS condenser and a decent tube preamp.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, there are some OK tube mics in the budget range but there aren't really any decent tube pres (the EH pre being one exception). Of course I'm assuming that someone 'starting out' isn't going to want to spend a lot of money staright away.

If you're not spending much money on a pre I'd go solid state, then just pick a mic which you like the sound of/suits your needs, regardless of the circuit topology.

homestudioguy said:
For someone starting out, would it be better to have a Tube mic with a solid state pre or a solid state mic and a tube pre?
BG

Would it be better to have apple pie or rasberry tarts?

(broken record mode)

yeh, no real way to answer that.

However, I will tell you this (just in case it comes to mind):

Alot of people are going to tube outboard gear in the digital realm to help "analog treat" the sound.

It's a myth that needs to be debunked. Tube mics and tube gear in digital recording have very little to do with getting it to sound "analog".

True analog sound and digtal material "patched" in tubage are two completely different sounds.

Some tube stuff might be compatible to solid state stuff, and then again, it might not. Just depends on your ears.

Oh and also depends on your ability to see through the salesman "bullshit with a guarantee" crap.

Back