Thoughts on upgrading interface and preamp?

ebsmusic

Hi there,

I have an Presonus Audiobox USB interface and a Presonus Blue Tube preamp. I am considering upgrading.
Maybe with a better interface I wouldn't want a separate pre? Maybe I should upgrade the pre but the interface is fine?
I'm looking for something that will work well with vocals and acoustic guitar but won't break the bank. Thanks.

Well...your PreSonus AudioBox USB has only Mic preamp and Instrument input...so how are you using the Blue Tube with it?

To go from the Blue Tube preamp to the PreSonus AudioBox USB interface ....you would need to go Line out to Line in....but, the PreSonus AudioBox USB has no Line in.
IOW...the PreSonus AudioBox USB, while it is an interface, is certianly NOT an interface that is designed to work with standlone preamps or any other Line out gear....so upgrading your Blue Tube standalone preamp will not solve that problem.
You would need an interface that accepts Line level signals to use it with any standlone preamp.

Anyway...besides that....what mic(s) are you using?
That might be your best upgrade option at this time.

1/4" outs on the Blue Tube to 1/4" inputs on the Audiobox. At the time I bought it, that was the way I was told to hook it up. Of course the gain is turned all the way down on the Audiobox. I bought the Blue Tube for the "tube" but found that it only adds a little distortion and not much else, which isn't good for me I like it clear and clean.
Obviously the interface and pre amp I have are starters, I'm just wondering what the next level would be and whether it's worth it. I have a Neumann TLM-102, a Rode NT1A, and will be picking up either a Rode NT55 or a pair of NT5's soon. I record acoustic guitar, vocal, and occasionally electric guitar.
Thanks.

The Presonus pre amp gets a cautious thumbs up here.
Presonus Blue Tube DP

I suppose if anyone is going to make a 1/2 decent job of the "starved plate" principle, someone like Presonus will do it?

As for an AI upgrade? Well you obviously need dedicated line inputs and I shall therefore(of course!) suggest the Native Instruments KA6.

No budget was mentioned but you would have to spend a shedload more money to improve on the KA6 IMHO.

Dave.

1/4" outs on the Blue Tube to 1/4" inputs on the Audiobox. At the time I bought it, that was the way I was told to hook it up. Of course the gain is turned all the way down on the Audiobox.

Well yeah...you would have to turn it way down since you have line level going to instrument level.

Back