Is there really any difference..........

rpe

NM - Land of Excrement
between a $50 patchbay and a $150 patchbay when in the hands of a novice home PC recording nut?

Questions to ask yourself....

Is the patchbay balanced or unbalanced?
Are the jacks made of plastic or nickle? Are they Neutrik?
Does patchbay require any soldering of connections?
How many options does the patchbay offer? Norm or UnNorm'ed?
Parallel and/or Open? Can it be configured for digital connections?
XLR,etc ?
Once you determine your needs,then you can proceed with examining the type of patchbay U need!
One of our new Moderators provided an excellent link in re to patchbay's and their many uses!
Gimme' a few while I try and locate it!

thanks Q!!!!!!!!!!

Lots more to know about patchbays than I thought. Is nothing simple in this recording business???????? Would like to visit that link if you can find it.

rpe

I just bought a $50 Behringer patch bay. Has 48 patch points (24 banks of 2). Each bank can be set to Open Norm HalfNorm or Parallel. All points are 1/4 inch input, no soldering.

This is my first patch bay ever, and I cannot believe that I could have ever lived without one. I have always rewired my equipment for each song/project as needed.

But I have the same nagging question about signal noise. Figuring you are adding two non-soldered connections per line there must be some accumulation of ambient noise etc.....

I dont notice any difference in sound with my equipment now all routed through this bay, but then again the difference should only be minor, and I have no way to comp between the setups...

Hmmm, but now that i think of it I suppose I could use my VF-16 to record some mixes with and without the patch bay, and then comp the two recordings?? I hadn't thought of trying that.

Thanks, you guys are full of great ideas!! lol...

(Seriously, has anyone tried this before?)

Aion

Aion
I have the same nagging question. I hate to solder and am looking for a patchbay but I wonder if getting one with 1/4" is going to be a weakness in my setup.
I don't have alot of outboard gear but my DAW has 16I/O's and the board is 32 channel. I was thinking of going from the board to the patchbay, then to the DAW, that way I could change any channel or buss on the board to record into one of the 16I/O's.

Anyone have a suggestion, on what kind I should get?

thanks JimJoe

Well, I have no complaints about the Behringer so far, to be sure. And the price was certainly right.

JimJoe, for that setup, make sure that the patch bay you choose allows you to normalise input pairs. This allows you to setup a default patch configuration between the board and the DAW. For example you would have the board outs 1 - 16 all running into Bank A of patchbay pairs 1-16. The DAW input channels are then plugged into Bank B of patchbay pairs 1-16. Each of these 16 pairs on the patch bay are then set to "normalled".

With this configuration the patch bay routes by default the output of the board (1-16) right through to the inputs of the DAW, without the need for additional patching on the front. Inserting a plug into any one of the pairs breaks this default configuration (for that specific pair) so you can easily override the default and route a different signal through to the DAW, or from the board.

Good Luck ;)

Back