Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: supressing noise with a gate

Thanks

supressing noise with a gate

Sign in to disable this ad
    can someone explain how to do this. My tracks just have an eventualy build up of noise, and I have seen people use a gate to get rid of some of this hiss?
    when the dust all settles and all of us have gone our life ways, the only thing anybody will care about in those recordings is the content. The songs and how they are performed. - SouthSIDE Glen

Thanks
    you just insert the gate and set the threshold so the noise doesn't open it but the music does. You can do this on the offending channels or across the master buss. If you are using a daw, you can just edit out the parts that are supposed to be silent.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    How much noise are you building up - like does the noise floor (during a silent moment) sit at -50dB or somethin crazy like that ? Maybe you want to 'shoot your recording signal chains if it's too much before it eats out the good musical passages...just a thought

Thanks
    I guess to expand on kylen's question, where is the noise coming from? Is it noise generated in your equipment or is it from the room? Move the mic around...does it change?
    She's not the boss of me

Thanks
    You can us a downward expander to help out.

Or get the new Behringer UB UltranoiseX2496Pro
    Great for removing all of that unwanted noise form behringer gear. Make sure you buy a second to remove the noise generated from the first UltranoiseX2496Pro.
    The most popular HR member - just do a search :)

Thanks
    All a noise gate does is turn off the ENTIRE signal when it drops below a certain level, and then turns the signal back on when it goes back above the threshold, so it won't do anything with noise while there is music happening in the signal. Your best bet is to get rid of the noise at the source (turn off the air, tell the wife not to do laundry, etc...)

Thanks
    Gates do not necessarily cut the entire signal (to silence). Most decent gates have some sort of depth or ratio settings. This way rather than taking a signal and cutting it completely, you can cut just certain percentages of it when the gate closes. This allows a little more of a natural sound as opposed to an actaul "mute" in a sense. This can be a critical setting if you are attempting to gate guitars and other instruments with longer and more desired sustains.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notbradsohner
    can someone explain how to do this. My tracks just have an eventualy build up of noise, and I have seen people use a gate to get rid of some of this hiss?
    I think you're saying that your tracking, and tracking, and eventually all those tracks are adding up to a bunch of hiss and noise. It sounds like your mics or preamps could be the problem, or it's air noise etc. or both?

War
    Warren Dent
    www.ZenProAudio.com

That's right....a new location for me!

Thanks
    Most decent gates have some sort of depth or ratio settings.
    Most manufacturers refer to a gate as cutting the signal completely off below the threshold. When the ratio setting comes into play its commonly reffered to as an Expander or Expansion.

Thanks
    well, I shouldnt really say noise, just tape hiss. Im using a reel to reel, but it doesnt have NR in it. I guess ill just get an outboard unit.
    when the dust all settles and all of us have gone our life ways, the only thing anybody will care about in those recordings is the content. The songs and how they are performed. - SouthSIDE Glen

Thread Information