stereo vs. two channel compression

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
I have an RNC, which I know is a stereo, and not a two-channel, compressor. I know I can't use the left and right signals simultaneously for different compression levels, because there's only one set of controls. But other than that, what's the difference? Is there any real difference between the left and right channels? I'd like to leave two single-channel sources plugged in, one in the left and one in the right, and whenever I use one of those courses (two mics) just dial up the compression I want and go nuts. Will the signal routed through the 'right' channel not be as good, since the left one has (mono) written next to it? I don't want to use them simultaneously. Thanks.

Is there any real difference between the left and right channels?
I would think that the compression applied to the right channel is derived from the source attached to the left (mono)... just a guess... never worked with one

It depends on how the detection circuit is wired. Most likely, the detection circuit sees the sum of both inputs. So it doesn't matter which one you plug in to. It will work.

The difference between a stereo compressor and a dual mono compressor is with a dual mono compressor, you can run both sides independently if you wish.

I was thinking that if the unit was detecting whether 'L mono', 'R or both were being used, it might have an effect on the relative threshold. But their diagram doesn't hint at that (no 'normalled jacks for example), and shows a simple sum to the detector.
http://www.fmraudio.com/panelviewspage.htm
Easy to double check though- plug in one side and set some reduction with a steady signal, then plug in the other side with no signal?

Back