Steinberg UR44 vs. Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD or something else?

the main thing is the yamaha technology behind the class A preamps, it's that combined with more stable performance.

the main thing is the yamaha technology behind the class A preamps, it's that combined with more stable performance.

so you think its worth it? I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.. :)

thanks.

for the pre-amps alone, yes, you are going to get quality with the UR44, there's nothing wrong with the behringer though, both would work.

So, I'm a Steinberg guy. I own Cubase 8 Pro, and Wavelab elements, and a few of their vsts, but I see no reason to piss away an extra $150 for no reason. I drive a Kia... :D

the kia has the same quality as my 1980 Toyota did. So that being said, would my ears hear the difference? If so, then the stienberg is worth the worth it. If not, then is there some particular pain in the ass thing thats going to piss me off every time I use the behringer? If so, then the stienberg is worth the extra $$$.

If I can't tell the difference technically or acoustically then I'll take the cheaper one since its 1/2 the cost.

:p ( did I mention I'm a cheap bastard?)

The behri is cheaper because it is made in China in huge quantities.

But . . . in recent years Behri has re-invented itself, and their gear is enjoying much more credibility now than it did a few years back.

It represented good value for money then, but is even more so now (specially with Midas preamps inside it)

The behri is cheaper because it is made in China in huge quantities.

But . . . in recent years Behri has re-invented itself, and their gear is enjoying much more credibility now than it did a few years back.

It represented good value for money then, but is even more so now (specially with Midas preamps inside it)

Cool. thanks!

The Steinberg drivers are likely to be much more stable than Behringer's. That combined with the Yamaha preamps (I think they're updated versions of those in the N12 mixer) make them well worth the extra lay-out IMO.
But the UR44 also has a DSP fx chip... Makes it very easy to run, say reverb & compression to the headphone mix (recording dry to DAW) when tracking vocals...
Only thing it's really missing is digital in/out but with my set-up (turntable, bass, vocal mic, synth and guitar mic) I'll be able to just leave everything plugged in and ready to go.
I'm looking at the UR44 as an upgrade from the focusrite 2i2 at the moment...

I personally have had great "luck" with Behringer equip. I've owned three very similar mixing boards. One a Behinger, One Mackie, and a Soundcraft. They all sounded good, and offer the same features. The biggest difference was the color of the knobs (which were located in the same places and the printing on the board itself; FX send/Aux send etc. Opening these up, I found the same circuit cards and components! Big wow, lol. I hope when I put these back together, I got the right card in the right board, or does it matter. Aren't the Midas pre-amps also class "A" Bi-FET's? Aren't most transformerless mic pre-amps class "A"? Oh well, I'm using a mixing board anyway, so what I need is is a bare bones a/d d/a interface (with midi of coarse). I know that back in the day, Midas was a big dog as far as mixing boards. I am considering going to a USB interface, as my old computer had PCI card slots and found some sound cards that allowed for full duplex multi-tracking. It seems that finally they perfected USB interfaces. Some of the stuff out there seems way too pricy and it looks like I'll be going with either, Behringer, M-audio or Tascam. I'm a cheap kinda guy too. I prefer Samplitude over any of the free "LE" DAW's out there. By "free", I mean the junk they throw in when you buy a piece of equipment. I said I was cheap. YUUP! I would love to have the bucks to spend $2500+ on a 3.0 USB interface. Now I just need to sort out the junk from the good stuff. One Mfg. advertises a "4X4" interface that you can only stream 2 channels out at a time through the USB! FOR REAL! Behringer, in my opinion, is leading edge as far as engineering. Cheap, cause it's produced in China. My main concern is the end result, and how to get there with the least amount of hassle. A big issue with almost all mfgs. in this digital medium is customer support. Seems the technology is growing faster than the technicians. So, Why is Steinburg more expensive than Behringer? Why is Pro-tools more expensive than Samplitude? Is it the name? Is it that being the " industry standard" is pricey-er? Is coke really better than rc-cola?

Back