SSL Alpha VHD 4 Channel pre

If it were me, I would sell the Trident and take the money you wree about to put into the SSL and get 4 good channels. You could go with API, DaKing, Vintech etc... for that cost. FYI, SSL's aren't really known for their pre's.

yeah, I could do that.

I like my trident ALOT on snare drum. I don't even have to add compresson. I was just asking about the SSL pre's.

Thats cool. I was just thinking that being able to up your money a bit by selling the Trident and add those funds to what you would spend on the SSL gets you into the price range for DaKing (more of a real Trident sound) or for API (which is my personal favorite on drums, including snare). YOu could even just about get into a channels in a lunch box for $2200 ish.

Actually, yes i have. The s20 is very different sounding. In certain ways maybe even better, but very different none the less. I even have some Trident channel strips at my studio. I am not trying to talk down on the s20 here, even though I do not care for it much, but merely trying to point out that this could be an opportunity for you to get even better preamps for your money, at least in my opinion. But yes, I do have experience with Trident consoles as well as the s20 including the series 80, 65, 75, 24 and even an "A" range which is where the real Trident rep comes from.

i am a decent guy. its just hard to believe that people with all this equipment still can't make a good mix.

maybe its just not my type of music.

Well, you certainly have the right to your opinions. That song was recorded by me about 3 or 4 years ago. Personally, I am not concerned that you don't like it. One of the other songs I tracked and mixed off that album was responsible for winning a movie best soundtrack at a larger film festival. Obviously someone liked it.

What I want to know, is what have you done? You want to tear apart my work, based on one song that you know nothing about with circumstances that you know nothing about, but what have you done? You asked for advice, I gave you my opinion. I attempted to clarify when I realized that it sounded like I might be "putting you or your gear down". I gave you good advice, and when asked I even quantified myself. Then you try and attack me personally? Sounds pretty childish to me. I gave you what I consider to be good advice. I didn't force it at you or repeat it over and over or anything. I clarified myself and expanded on my reasoning to try and not offend you on a personal level, and after that I answered YOUR question. The funny thing is that I am still not quite sure what it is that got to you so bad.

Now that you have decided to go this route though, I can tell you what I really think of the s20.... First, certainly no Trident at least in the traditional sense and regarding the whole Trident mystique. The s20 completely misses the rich warm low mids that the classic trident consoles exhibit. Also, the s20 has ALOT more HF stuff happening than the actual Trident stuff out there (at least preamp only wise, not considering EQ's). This is what I meant when I said in some ways maybe better. However, the problem with the s20 in this regard is that it very easily sounds harsh and wears on you very quickly unlike the HF extension on Neve's, Chandler's, Pendulum's etc... Thankfully the s20 is not priced like those units, which originally the s20 was slated to be. At $600 to maybe $800 for 2 channels the s20 is probably a decent value. Any more than that and you start moving into a range where a whole different class of preamps take over.

As for the SSL, once again I never said it was bad. Its just that SSL's aren't really known for their preamps. They are known for their EQ's and comps, primarily the bus comp style stuff. I have worked on a few different SSL's, but have never used the new Alpha stuff. The pre's on the SSL's are certainly usable, but also nothing to write home about. I just can't see spending $1500 on 4 channels of "nothing to write home about". I figured you try and get $700 for the Trident if you are lucky, add that to your $1500. This gives you $2200. That is nearly enough for 4 channels of 500 series preamp and the lunchbox, a DaKing 4 channel preamp (if you really are after that Trident sound), 4 channels of Vintech, a 4 channel API etc... In my opinion, which obviously you don't trust since I have all this equipment and can't make a good mix, any of these recomendations are much nicer than the Trident or the SSL. Take all this how you will....

Well I'd like to think I've accomplished a lot at age 20. I'm halfway through college and I'm the drummer for a mildly successful band in Cleveland. My work has been number 1 on 92.3 KROK for the past couple of weeks here, along with being number 1 on most of the college radio stations in Ohio. My work has been on Clevelands top 40 KISS 96.5 I've built a decent studio with mostly professional gear , except my mackie 32x8. I still like it though. Maybe my view on recording is different than yours , with you being 35 or whatever. I like my sound loud, polished, tight. I do whatever it takes to get the tone I'm looking for. My stuff is always radio ready. As soon as I get out of college, I will move into a larger space and run my own business, and chances are you will be hearing my mixes on your local rock station.

I bought the trident when I bought my u87. I needed a decent pre, and couldn't swing an Avalon 737 with the u87 too. I like my trident on drums, it just sounds a little scratchy on instruments.

If you want you can hear the stuff that's been on the radio at www.myspace.com/thisawkwardsilence Runaway Runaway was the song.

Now that you have decided to go this route though, I can tell you what I really think of the s20.... First, certainly no Trident at least in the traditional sense and regarding the whole Trident mystique. The s20 completely misses the rich warm low mids that the classic trident consoles exhibit. Also, the s20 has ALOT more HF stuff happening than the actual Trident stuff out there (at least preamp only wise, not considering EQ's). This is what I meant when I said in some ways maybe better. However, the problem with the s20 in this regard is that it very easily sounds harsh and wears on you very quickly unlike the HF extension on Neve's, Chandler's, Pendulum's etc... Thankfully the s20 is not priced like those units, which originally the s20 was slated to be. At $600 to maybe $800 for 2 channels the s20 is probably a decent value. Any more than that and you start moving into a range where a whole different class of preamps take over.

Xstatic... Let me ask you this... Why did you have to wait to be "attacked" to say what you don´t like about a piece of gear? :confused:

I don´t understad... you said: "Now that you have decided to go this route though, I can tell you what I really think of the s20...." So, if he didn´t bring your mixes to the table would you keep that comment for you?

Maybe I´m missing something, but when someone ask for advice or commets, we expect for honesty, not magazine-like comments...

Please, don´t take it personal, and I don´t give a shit about this dude comments... but I found your comments kind of funny, that´s why I´m asking...
Cheers!

Maybe this is the wrong forum for me. I want to talk with other professional engineers.... people who's mixes are on the radio everyday.

Back