SSL Alpha VHD 4 Channel pre

I am sorry xstatic. I was wrong... I lashed out with anything but constructive critism where none was solicited or warrented. You were just trying to help. I, in turn, will try to keep my responses on-topic, professional, and polite in the future
That's more like it!!

Julian, maybe I should have worded things differently. The truth is, I did not have to wait for anything. However, the original question here was not about the Trident s20 so I felt ne need or reason to blindly bash what someone else is using just because I don't care for it. That does not really do anyone any good and doesn't really serve any positive purpose. If you ask me for advice I will always give you honesty. There is no reason to give anything else. However, if you don't ask about certain things I may also not see the need to just go too far off topic to bring things up.

And for the Barn Boy..... I listened to the link you posted. I agree that your stuff does sound polished. I even like it. Keep in mind though that is YOUR sound, and not was is needed and/or desired for other bands. Whereas I like stuff like that just fine, other people, ESPECIALLY other professional engineers and producers might find it sterile stale and cold, or kind of stock. For the type of music that was recorded I do not feel that way about it, but feel more like it is appropriate for that genre. Keep in mind that the band you listened to on my site, the Sun House Healers, are also a very different type of sound. That did not want a stock sound. They did not want the overly smooth and polished sound because they feel that it would be an inaccurate portrayal of who they are and what their music is about. What you did not like in that mix, other PROFESSIONAL engineers and producers have made positive comments on. It has been described by some as raw, aggressive, organic etc... It really depends on how you look at it and maybe keeping an open mind and thinking a bit before you run your mouth off. Maybe if something sounds different to you there is a reason. Maybe it is a bad mix, or maybe it is a series of purposeful and well executed decisions with an end in mind. The point I am trying to make here is that I am sure you constantly defend yourself and your music against those people that don't care for it and try and minimize or demean it. I am sure you chuckle to yourself and amongst your friends about how close minded those people are. This is a common thing, you are certainly not alone in it. At the same time, in your age range it is even more prevalent. What I would like you to consider here is that maybe by doing these things, you are actually becoming the person that you dislike? By making assumptions about what I do or don't do and what experience I do and don't have and what decisions I may or may not have made you actually have become that very person you scoff at. Now on the other hand, maybe you just don't like the song that I did. That is certainly your right and perogative. The attitude and method in which you conveyed it however leads me to believe that you were looking for ammo, and not honestly criticising a song.

In any event, hopefully this is just a one time thing that has spun out of control. Not that you may care, but I will try and treat it as such when reading other posts of yours. Maybe you could also try and remember that I do this as a career. I work with bands for a living and like it or not, I have more experience in these areas than you can imagine. I don't lightly throw opinions out there. I may not always be right, but I always speak from experience. When it isn't, I make a point to mention it. There is a reason I still work in the industry.

To the original question, SSL is not really known for there pre's. I'm sure they are usable, but better choices abound. As far as the s20, it's not based on the 80 series. One of their other models is though, and it escapes me what model it is. I've tried one against my actual 80 series pre's, and it wasn't even close........

Even SOS gave it this review - "The S20 has been designed to appeal primarily to those who place fashion and image above pure audio quality."

Get yourself a 3124 or a lunchbox. API kicks ass on drums. Seriously. :D

Point taken, Xstatic... You´re right about him not asking about the S20, but I just think of this forum as an enciclopedia, you know? So, it´s important to "harsh" with a piece of gear if needed, to help others when looking advice on that specific model...

Nevermind, forget about this boy comments and let´s keep playing, recording and producing good music!!! (and making some money in the meantime!) :D

Maybe I am wrong then about the Alpha channel. I believe that I mentioned that my expereinces were not with the Alpha in specific, but with SSL's in general.

Well I'd like to think I've accomplished a lot at age 20. I'm halfway through college and I'm the drummer for a mildly successful band in Clevelandp.

*bows down and kisses feet*

thank you, oh great one, for gracing us lowly home-rec'ers with your presence

my mixes aren't the point

the point is that you're in here slamming a professional engineer, when by your own admittance you're just some kid who's half-finished with college, and who drums in a mildly successful band in cleveland

whoop-de-doo

if you want to be a condescening ass, go over to gearslutz

lets hear some of your mixes

Dude, Matt, come on. You want people to take you seriously, you've gotta learn to bite your tongue. You may not approve of some of these dudes' work, but there's some great advice to be had on this board... so long as you don't piss everyone off. You'll never get your studio up and running if you can't learn to take shit in stride.

-Crawford

I listened to both mixes and I liked the snare sound much better in Xstatic's mix. thebarnstudio, you came off as harsh considering the fact that you're a drummer and there are aspects of Xstatic's recording that are better than yours. Maybe it's a matter of opinion.

Speaking of which, thebarnstudio, your band sounds like every other emo band on the radio. I don't know about Cleveland but there are twenty bands EXACTLY like yours in Seattle with teenage fans.

Once you stop doing what everyone else is doing it won't be so easy to hide behind all that ego.

Inovative artists find their own voice. Good luck standing out in the crowd you're in :rolleyes:

I listened to both mixes and I liked the snare sound much better in Xstatic's mix. thebarnstudio, you came off as harsh considering the fact that you're a drummer and there are aspects of Xstatic's recording that are better than yours. Maybe it's a matter of opinion.

Speaking of which, thebarnstudio, your band sounds like every other emo band on the radio. I don't know about Cleveland but there are twenty bands EXACTLY like yours in Seattle with teenage fans.

Once you stop doing what everyone else is doing it won't be so easy to hide behind all that ego.

Inovative artists find their own voice. Good luck standing out in the crowd you're in :rolleyes:

I apologize for being arrogant. I have a tendency to do that. The more I listen to xstatic's mix, it is done very well. Everything sits nicely, not my favorite drum tones or song, but I respect a well done recording. I just like a compressed sound better than a more natural sound, maybe i'll grow out of it when im older like everyone else on this board.

As far as my band, I know we sound like every other emo band on the radio. That's cool. I like to make radio music.

I don't care if we never "make it". It's for fun and I treat it that way. I'm more into recording.

Back