From Soft to Hard - hmm

UrbanKlass

Ok, so I probably have a high-enough end software based studio;

- Windows based PC with dual core AMD, 2gb RAM, lotsa space etc.
- Fireface400 interface (and an old saffire 24 pro)
- Cubase SX3 (bought it 6 years ago)
- Waves mercury (2008)
- UAD2 Quad with most plugs.
- FLUX plugins
- ALL Nomad Factory plugins
- Yamaha HSM50s (secondary)
- KRK VXT 8s (primary)

Now, I'm looking at getting a couple of low-end compressors such as the ART VLA 2 and the Chameleon 7720 - but the Fireface only has 2 TRS outputs left for me to use and 4 TRS inputs. So, my question is: Can I somehow connect the Saffire 24 to my Fireface and use the ins/outs on that while still using the converters on the Fireface???

If I can't do that, what do I need to do? I've seen in some larger studios they have something connected to the optical - then the rack gear is connected to that box instead... is that a patch bay or am I totally off?

Please let me know, I just want to know my options!

Thanks.

NOTE - I did search for some info on this but the threads that came up, either weren't answered or didnt give me info on this particular issue.

I just had to open this thread the title looked to be p0rn in nature. :eek:

Now what are you going to be using the newly purchased compressors for?

Many here while tell you to use compression once you have your tracks laid down. By sending a track out and through the compressor and record as a new track.

Or did you want to use compression as the track is being recorded? In which case you have to know what you want from the beginning. For what you record with the compression you are stuck with.

:cool:

- yeh the title was to get your attention - and dag'nammit it worked!

As for the compressor usage, I was looking at using the VLA2 as a mixing compressor for vocals. Being a plug user I wouldnt even dream of compressing the source. My plan is to use it on the Insert - listen to see how it sounds, once i'm happy with the sound it creates then solo and bounce the compressed vocal into a new WAV file. Then I can compress other parts that I feel need a tad more of the 'analog' touch.

The Chameleon 7720, on the other hand, I want to use on the mixed-down WAV for "mastering" (until I can afford the MYNX with SSL Bus Comp :cool: ).

(( I know the 7720 aint exactly pristine, but you hardware heads cant have it all! Moan when we use plugins to master, then when we try hardware you say we should use only the best of the best - well, I make minimum wage and sell things i shouldnt be selling to have money to invest in my businesses. I dont have paper to spend on the luxurious items as of yet! [end rant]))

Take a look at the really nice leveling amp.

And what do you have for sale that you shouldn't be selling? maybe I need some .... maybe not.

:cool:

Back