So how long should I leave my gear on? Months at a time?

ScienceOne

While doing a cd, I'm going to use the gear every day. When working on a project is it best just to leave everything on when im not around? I hear its better for tube circuitry just to be left on. Even something as crappy as a tube mp (which im using on snare, great pop)? What about my solid state power amp for my monitors? I'll leave the mixer on should the phantom power be left on too? My mesa boogie amp?

Here's my humble opinion on this. I don't feel there's any additional wear and tear on the gear leaving it on all the time and cycling it off and on isn't going to shorten its life either. I think it's a good idea to have it up and running at least an hour before you do any critical recording so everything is stable.
That said, I personally think it's a bad idea to leave it on all the time, especially during thunderstorm season. Power nasties can follow the mains into your system and leave smoking holes where your equipment used to be. I have the breaker to the studio in its own disconnect box and I kill it when I leave for the night so nothing can sneak in.

Back