Small Mixer Recommendation

PHILANDDON

Can anyone recommend a small mixer (4 channels is fine), with really nice mic preamps (clean, neutral). It'd be great if the pres had 70db of gain for a ribbon mic, but not mandatory.

THANKS.

are you wanting a mixer for the purpose of a mixer, or are you just in need of four channels of pres?

Whilst I'll agree that the Onyx pres are good, you will be driving them pretty hard to get a signal out of a ribbon. From memory, they only give +60 dB of gain... that 10dB is about 8 times the volume.

If you'vre looking for a small-format mixer, then either the small mackies or the A&H Mixwizards.

cpl_crud said:
Whilst I'll agree that the Onyx pres are good, you will be driving them pretty hard to get a signal out of a ribbon. From memory, they only give +60 dB of gain...

He's right, the mackie pre's are ok for home use, but you'll have to crank it to get a ribbon sound, even the VLZ's.

I find the smaller mackie's to be limiting because they are too stingy with things like aux loops, direct outs, inserts, etc..... I got rid of a 1202 for that reason, if I were to get another I would not get any mackie smaller than 16 channel.....

but if you want great sound going in, then you should get a good preamp with it.... or choose a different mixer.

Onyx Mixers

The new Mackie Onyx series mixers will handle Ribbon Microphones with no problem. I have a Mackie Onyx 1202 and compared to the older Mackie VLZ preamps these newer preamps sound quite a bit better, very very quiet with great definition, and a lot more headroom. The New Onyx Mixers also have a lot more Aux Sends, direct outs via DB25 cables and each mono channel has an insert. The new EQ sounds better than the VLZ series and all Channel Strips have True EQ Bypass. Oh yeah it has fire wire output as well Great mixers for a recording. Try one.

I could easily agree with Double's recommend on the Onyx..... if you aren't used to anything better, then the Onyx will give you goose bumps! Worth every penny in the long run, compared to any other budget mixer. If I weren't shopping for other gear right now, I'd sure try one without any reservation.....

Back