To side chain or not to side chain,

Another neat trick is to side chain a compressor to become a de-esser. You feed a vocal into an EQ and exagerate the highs. You side chain this signal to the compressor on the regular vocal track. Now when the compressor sees the highs from the eq track, it compresses the regular track.

That doesnt make so much sense. the whole vocal track will be compressed when it sees the highs that are being sidechained. and no deesing will happen just a compressed vocal track.

Record a bass drum track and then copy it to another track. I now have 2 racks, original & duplicate. Next, send the duplicate track to the compressor side chain input. (Should I use the mixer channel insert from the duplicate track or direct out? Then, record the Bass guitar on a seperate track, using the compressor as a signal processor. Am I on track here? I Know I will need to experiment to get it right, I just want to eliminate any misunderstanding on my part and again, thanks for your help.

OK...I'm actually thinking more in the analog world using real hardware...but yeah, same basic principal with a DAW, only you don't really need to duplicate the track...you can just set up an Aux channel...just some way to feed the side-chain, and still have your Bass track available for the regular mix.

In analog/hardware world...you would just "split" your Bass track by way of an aux or maybe the direct out from that channel or an actual line-splitter.
The main idea to grasp is that you end up with a Bass track for mixing and a split of its signal to feed the side-chain of the compressor that you will apply to the Kick track.

There may be some "slick" ways of doing all that in a DAW (and depending on the DAW app)...but that's pretty much it.

Thanks Miroslav, your a gentleman and a scholar! So now I know, not only how to do it but also it's various apps. thanks to the other contributors. Thinking back, a little hitting the books would have produced the same results with a lot less greif!

Back