Shock mount rack cases vs. Non shock mount

satrne

I am looking into buying a 10 to 14 space mobile rack case, and I'm trying to figure out how much benefit I'll actually get from the shockmount... it definitely adds to the cost. Does it protect the rack gear that much, or are most sturdy non-shock mount cases pretty reliable??

Thanks!

satrne said:
I am looking into buying a 10 to 14 space mobile rack case, and I'm trying to figure out how much benefit I'll actually get from the shockmount... it definitely adds to the cost. Does it protect the rack gear that much, or are most sturdy non-shock mount cases pretty reliable??

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a case with shocks....

That said, it's not about the case. You could take just about any decent rack case and drop it off a building and the case would be fine as soon as you figured out a way to dig it out of the pavement. Of course, the gear inside would probably not fare as well---particularly if it involves any tubes. :D

satrne said:

Thanks!

I would definitley recommend a shock mount case, especially if it is going to be a big rack doing alot of traveling. When they get big and heavy they also get awkward to handle, especially by yourself, so they have a dendancy to get banged around more than the smaller ones. I have a MESA 16 space shockmount rack loaded up and it takes 2 guys to lift the damn thing. I had a dumb ass singer in my band who decided he wanted to surf on top of my rack while wheeling it into one of the venues we played at, and the stupid ass tipped it over flat on it's face, it hit hard, but everything inside was fine, so I'm a true believer in them.

Which one you buy really depends on your intended use.

If you will be touring or shipping gear then you absolutely must get shock mount cases. Cases with the two inch, not one inch foam. Also, avoid SKB shock mount cases for touring, as they won't hold up in my experience. The SKB keyboard cases have worked out well for me, but not the rack cases.

I don't really agree that pretty much any decent case could be dropped off a building and survive. First, the survival of the case is of little importance, it's the gear inside that matters. Second, the rivets would pop on impact and the case would be destroyed, especially if it is not top quality.

A while back I shipped an 8 space non-shock mount rack filled with gear via UPS. The case was packed in a box and was surrounded by padding. It arrived totally destoyed, and the gear inside the case was also mangled. The gear would have actually survived better if I had thrown it in the box loose, as it was the destruction of the case that ripped the gear apart.

Moral of the story: get the best case you can afford and if you are touring make sure it is shock mount. If you will always be handling the case yourself and you'll only be taking it to local gigs you might be able to get away without shock mount. But still get good quality.

Hope this helps.

aside from liquid, shock is the thing that poses the most danger to electronic equipment. it doesn't take much to crack a pcb or break a crystal or a vaccum tube. shock mount cases are a good investment.

that being said, i bought a waldorf micro-q off ebay a while ago "as is" for cheap. there were problems with it when it got to me, and it was obvious that it had been dropped. so i opened the case and viola!, a ribbon cable slightly ajar. pushed it back in and my waldorf is good as new!

Back