Running compressor and reverb in preamp insert

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I just bought a TC Electronics M350 to use as a live vocal reverb. I am trying to run a simple live setup for my solo gigs where I don't have to bring my mixing board. I have a 2U rack case that can hold my vocal preamp (SP VTB-1), compressor (FMR RNC), and reverb (M350). How can I wire this up? If I'm using my board, I know I can just use the Aux sends for the reverb, and I usually run my RNC as an insert. Can I run the RNC and m350 in the VTB-1 insert? If so, how do I wire that up? Or should I keep the RNC in the insert and then run the VTB-1 line out to the m350? I am using powered speakers as well. Thanks for any help in advance.

I would run it in this order SP VTB-1>FMR RNC>M350 so the preamp>comp>reverb, I presume the reverb has a mix knob? so you can blend it in, to me it wouldn't make much sense having it in any other order.

You can run the reverb on the insert after the compressor if you want, insert send to comp in, jumper from comp out to reverb in, reverb out to insert return. Or you can put the reverb on the output of the preamp. I would definitely put the reverb after the comp one way or another. Which way you do it depends on which device is better at driving your powered speakers, and on what processing is after the preamp's insert that you may or may not want applied to the reverb.

Thanks for the replies. The M350 should arrive today, so I'll test it out tonight. It does indeed have a mix knob.

I set it up where I run my mic into the VTB-1, run the insert to the RNC, out to the M350, and then back to the preamp. I then tried running either the balanced out or line out of the VTB-1 to the live board. In both cases, the sound was very muffled compared to just running straight into the board, even with both the RNC and M350 bypassed. The board is just a standard Mackie, so decent but not amazing preamps there. I would like to run the reverb on a send, but our board only has two sends, and those are both going to monitor mixes. I think I'll try running the M350 and maybe RNC as inserts off the board preamp at next band practice. Any other suggestions?

Back