RNC outs TS/TRS balanced/unbalanced

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
I'm using a RNC as a "mastering" limiter and I'm trying to hook up an RNC to a Rosetta AD 2 channel converter. What I've got so far is I'm coming out of a Roland 1880 via AUX LR (RCA) into the RNC (1/4" TS). This is correct so far.

Now the RNC manual says "Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4" plugs will not work! If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4" plugs"

Right now I am coming out of both RNC outputs 1/4" TRS (dispite what the manual says because I don't have the right cables right now and into the Rosetta with 2 XLRs.

How can I "unbalance" the Rosetta? Would that where I flip the switch on the back of it to make PIN 3 HOT or leave it PIN 2 HOT? I can't remember which one is right. I know it is dependent on the rest of my setup and cabling. I fliped the switch and there is no difference in the meter or the sound.

Am I losing volume because I am choosing to use the TRS cables? The manual says it will not work, does that mean I should not be hearing anything or the levels will be wrong?

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT SETUP AS YOU DO. AT FIRST I USED A TRS 1/4" TO A XLR MALE AND IT WORKED FINE BUT I EVENTUALLY BOUGHT THE RECOMMENDED CABLE- HOSA PXM-105M. I COULDN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO AFTER AN A/B.

THE CABLES ARE CURRENTLY LISTED ON EBAY FOR $6.25 EACH FROM DALE PRO AUDIO WHO I ALSO BOUGHT MINE AND AN RNC FROM - GREAT EBAY SELLER:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOSA-PXM-105-MA...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Sorry about the all caps above, too lazy to change it. Hope this helps!

Just talked to Mark and he said that the unbalanced TS only applies to the inputs, not the outputs. He said that the manual states that they will not work was just trying to not confuse people about the different cables (to just use one type). So it looks like the cables I am using are correct. Yay. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks, that's some good info and good to know. You answered your own question and then gave a bonus!

Just talked to Mark and he said that the unbalanced TS only applies to the inputs, not the outputs. He said that the manual states that they will not work was just trying to not confuse people about the different cables (to just use one type). So it looks like the cables I am using are correct. Yay. Thanks for your replies.

The RNC input jack are TRS, but it's to facilitate send and return with a simple TRS cable from an insert conection on a console. So sending a balanced signal would be bad as one leg of the signal would be encountering the output of the RNC.

I suspect the output jacks are simple TS jacks making a TRS cable fine in that you are not using the ring (R). However, in considering a TS vs. a TRS cable on the input of the device your feeding the RNC into, the difference would be:
TRS - on the balanced input of the device you are feeding, there would be an open circuit on the ring half of the balanced signal (typical the '-') that it's expecting.
TS - the ring input would be shorted to ground as a result of the sleeve and the ring being the same conductor on a TS jack.

If the equipment is prepared to accept unbalanced or balanced input, I'm not sure if it matters what it sees on the '-' input: open or ground. If I'm using equipemnt that's designed to accept both, I'd use a TS cable to deliver an unbalanced signal guessing that the gear expects that type of cable. This may be insignificant as I do not know how equipment electronically compensates for these two possible inputs on the same jack. Accordinding to 'That Guy', above, it sounds like there wasn't a sound difference, so perhaps the cable type is insignificant.

Back