RME fireface converters vs. Mytek converters

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
How much of a difference is there? Right now I am using a Presonus Firepod but it doesn't offer enough as far as upgrading pres and converters so I wanted to get the fireface. Is it pretty necessary that I get some better converters right away? Would it make a HUGE difference, or should I spend that money towards better mics? I was thinking of getting some better overheads(i'm using studio projects c4's right now). Maybe some Josephson c42's or peluso cem6's.

What do you guys think?

I faced similiar problem when i was buying my interface!

As i read RME has really good converters. Not as good as (Apogee, so i was told) but still very good.
And the converters are not the only thing. The pre-amps too.
Anyway i was offeref to take presonus, but did not!

I chose FF800. And am very happy with it so far! (knock on wood).

But still, we have face a similiar decision.
I am still buying a pre-amp that i will use solely for vocals, +the 4 i have on ff800.
And the mic!

The way i see it, you have 2 options. Buy a good mic (maybe 2), and use the presonus!
Or buy high-end pre-amps with converters!
I dont hink the difference between the RME and Presonus converters are so big. Buy a good mike :)

I need the fireface because i want to upgrade it in the future. I have nice other stuff except for SDC's and the c4's are useable for now, but not ideal. I want to know more about converters on the fireface vs. the $1000 2 channel mytek ADC.

Is it possible to use the Presonus as a dedicated firewire connection and bypass the converters/preamps? Could you route an external preamp through an external AD converter into the digital inputs of the Presonus?

I don't think so unless the converter has an sd/pif output. you can use external pres on channels 1 and 2 using the line inputs. Is there ANYONE here who has tried both the RME and the Mytek???? There has to be......

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
I don't think so unless the converter has an sd/pif output. you can use external pres on channels 1 and 2 using the line inputs. Is there ANYONE here who has tried both the RME and the Mytek???? There has to be......
I use a RME Digiface with a RME ADI-8DS converter for a portable recording rig (very similar to the RME Fireface except max 96K not 192K sampling). I added a Mytek 2 channel 96 AD and clock the Digiface and ADI-8DS from the Mytek. The difference adding the Mytek was very noticeable and the ADI-8DS sounds better clocked from the Mytek.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
How much better if you can possibly(I know that might be impossible to put into words, i'm sorry).
RME makes excellent bang-for-the buck equipment. Their higher end converters (ADI-8DS, ADI-2, Fireface) sound very good for the price. The accuracy (jitter) of the digital clock pacing the AD and DA converter chips will affect the sound of the conversion. I have found that using the best clock signal in my equipment chain improves the sound of each component. The Mytek 96 AD 2 channel converter has a very stable, low-jitter clock (10 picosecond) and to my ears smooths the high frequencies of the RME ADI-8DS when I clock from the Mytek. At home I use an Apogee Big Ben for studio clock and notice the same difference. As a general rule, equipment quality is proportional to price. RME tends to be more expensive than Presonus, Echo, M-Audio (I've tried them all) and in my opinion has better products. The RME drivers are rock solid and the TotalMix virtual software mixer is great. Remember, the most important variable determining the quality of your final product is the performance recorded, not the recording equipment. Have fun and good luck.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Is there ANYONE here who has tried both the RME and the Mytek???? There has to be......

Have you seen the 3d audio web site or the AD/DA comparison CD? They may cover those converters or they may be discussed in one of the forum sections.

OH SHIT. I read the specs on this thing and didn't see anything about sp/dif but i didn't check the actual picture of the unit! WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS SAVES ME A LOT OF MONEY.

edit: will the clock on the mytek will work for the rest of the converters on my firepod? Including the D/A conversion? if so I'm good to go as fart as converters go for a long time just buying the mytek. And I'll use the extra money for new mics a/o monitors!

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
edit: will the clock on the mytek will work for the rest of the converters on my firepod? Including the D/A conversion? if so I'm good to go as fart as converters go for a long time just buying the mytek. And I'll use the extra money for new mics a/o monitors!

Yea just make sure to set your firepod to slave to the SPDIF clock...or if it has a BNC wordclock connector use that instead.

Like i said. I am about to do similiar thing...

I already own the FIreface800. But wanted a great pre-amp(for the buck) for vocals, so i browse-d around and came across the Mindprint.

I need it only for Voclas so i'll go for the Envoice, and by the DIMOD converter along to go!
And it seems that i face the same procedure, connetcing it through S/PDIF on the FF800!
What i was hoping to know is how/when can you really say one converter is better than the other?

I don't think the RME convertors are even considered in the same league as the MyTeks.

FWIW, I am looking to upgrade my Lucids to MyTeks in the near future.

fraserhutch said:
I don't think the RME convertors are even considered in the same league as the MyTeks.

FWIW, I am looking to upgrade my Lucids to MyTeks in the near future.

Wow I can't wait to get the myteks. The clock will make the firepod's A/D sound better as well as giving me better D/A for monitoring. Exciting stuff!

Back