RME converters vs. Apogee converters

RME converters vs. Apogee converters... opinions?

• RME is better

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Apogee is better

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Six of one, half a dozen of the other... both good.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • They both suck... get (insert your choice here) instead

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
wheelema said:
Apogee are more expensive, but does that make them better?

You're kidding, right?

You mean there are actually those who believe RME convertors are better than apogee convertors?????

Last edited:
In another post Massive Master classified converters like this...

Massive Master said:
Cheap - M-Audio Flying Cow. WAY cheap, and pretty decent.

Inexpensive - ST Audio stuff. It's okay.

Reasonable - Here's where you get into the "real" stuff... Lucid, Mytek, Apogee, RME, Benchmark... More expensive, but this fits the "Good for the buck" category best. All are good performers and easily fit into a professional rig.

After that, you get the really cool stuff... UAD, the higer end Apogee, Lavry (my personal favorite), Prism, etc. This is where the point of diminishing returns occurs - Every penny of better sound costs an additional ten bucks. Worth it for some, almost a waste for others.

Note that Apogee falls into both the reasonable and into the really cool stuff, so perhaps this answers my question... the Mini-Me is about as inexpensive as the Apogee line gets.

thats the first time i think i heard someone mention st audio in a way where they didnt ignore its existence or try to point people in the direction of maudio or echo or the others in that price range

TUBE AD/DA - Not saying these are in the running, but since someone was talking about tube AD/DA's, just thought I'd mention the ART DIO. The high end audiophile guys have been going absolutely nuts over these things, and they can be as anal or more so than the pro audio crowd.

ART actually managed to find a way to stick ToOb on a AD/DA? Behri should be close behind.... If it says "PRO" anywhere in the name, I'm in. Because I'm a pro. And all my gear should state that.

Lavry Converters

I have bought several channels of Lavry converters (A/D) and am still experimenting with this unit. As best I can tell, it offers impressive performance, but is expensive. It was highly recommended to me, over Apoggee (?spelling). I was told that the A/D conversion is a critical aspect of digital recording, and that there is a significant difference between high and low end conversion, but I am only a home hobbiest and cannot back that up with first hand information. I always thought that in 2005, this conversion was rather standardized and that there would not be significant differences anymore, at lest at low sample rates. That is all I know.

Back