Reverb Plug-in Vs. Hardware

dudleys100

OK so I am currently trying to decide on what reverb I want to "get to know". I have realized that the more I put into getting to know a piece of equipment the better it gets. I would rather put my time into getting to know one thing very well, than a bunch of things just a little in the search for "that" reverb. So first I just need some help with what I should pu my time into. I have been using Waves reverb plug'in's (R-verb and Truverb). I like them but still am not satisfied with the results, feeling like I am still too "digital". I am a guitar player and I would compare this to playing through a solid state amp with an effects processor. I would like the reverb sound that makes me feel like I am playing through a Fender Vibro King and a Tube Screamer. I currently think that I will get this through a descent hardware reverb (ie. Lexicon or T.C.) Am I correct in my thinking? I want that lush sound that makes me feel as though I am there at a concert hall that does not sound like it is "brittle". I hear it on CD"s it must be out there.

That is my main concern, now my real question is what level of outboard Reverb do I need in order to surpass the quality of the Waves stuff. What kind of price do I need to reach. What model of Lexicon would I be looking at, do I have to go all the way to the PCM stuff? I would really appreciate your help.

It looks cool, does anybody have any experience with it? The thing is that I would prefer doing everything in the digital domain because it is less hassle, and takes up less room in my little bedroom so if there is something that stacks up I would like to check it out. Thanks

Sonic Timeworks reverb

I do not own the the Timeworks 4080L yet. (emphasis on yet) But I have used it. It is by far the best sounding reverb plug-in that I have heard. The only other one that comes close is the Anwida Soft. You're right Dudleys, brittle is the word for most reverb plug-ins. But the Timeworks is an exception. It's the real deal. BTW, it sounds beautiful on clean electric guitar.

I keep hearing everyone talk about the Sonic Timeworks, but it just seems like every time I've used the demo versions, I've been pretty disappointed. I guess the words that comes to mind are "artificial," "robotic," etc.

It could just be my system or my ears, personal taste, or whatever, because a lot of people whom I respect seem to think it's pretty decent. And I like just about all their other plugs.

Personally, I think the Waves' R-Verb is the most natural sounding . . . and it's pretty easy to use / tweak in order to get it to sound decent. It's also got a few presets that aren't too bad.

Still, once you get a chance to fiddle with Sonic Foundary Accoustic Mirror, you'll never go back. Seriously, Accoustic Mirror is the shit. Learn how to use it.

Actually Chessrock what makes acoustic mirror so good. I didn't even realize I had it until yesterday (with soundforge 6). Why is it better, and how are you supposed to use it that makes it different than the usual plugs?

Also when you all say these plugs are good are you saying they are good for plug-ins or good even compared to a PCM series Lexicon?

I was never too into the timeworks reverb, but it isn't bad. To be honest i prefer the built in 3.0 reverb in logic audio.

dudleys100 said:
Actually Chessrock what makes acoustic mirror so good. Why is it better, and how are you supposed to use it that makes it different than the usual plugs?

It allows you to use models of real accoustic spaces, or models derived from real outboard reverb units. The benefit is that the quality of the reverb isn't limited by computer processing power or bandwidth as with a typical verb plugin. The drawback is that it can be extremely processor intensive. I think it's a fair tradeoff, but it might not be right for you if you're the type who needs to use like 7 different instances of a plugin. :D

A good work-around is to use it on your more important tracks and simply print a separate reverb only track and blend it in with the dry track (to taste) in your session.

Wow that is a great idea Chessrock. I never thought of doing that, it would be the equivelant of mixing in a room mic for drums. The best thing is that it doesn't hog resources. Now I looked in acoustic mirror and found no spaces. So the question is, where do I go to get these samples.

Actually, Timeworks ReverbX is the next generation up from the 4080L, and I think I like it better, to be honest. Whenever I do go for a reverb, its ususally ReverbX, although I find myself liking dry recordings more than ever these days. Just good tones tracked well, almost need nothing else.

Well I tried the timeworks reverb (4080L). This thing is great!! I think it is much more lush than the Waves, and much easier to use. Not near as many presets but the ones they have are very useable. I would like to try a nice hardware unit to compare with, but I don't think I will be buying one at this point. I am still interested in this acoustic mirror thing though. If someone knows more about it, please let me know where to get the reverb samples and how it all works, thanks.

dudleys100 said:
Now I looked in acoustic mirror and found no spaces. So the question is, where do I go to get these samples.

I would do a keyword search for accoustic mirror. Someone just posted a link like 2 days ago (where you can download what are called "impulse" files -- these are what you want), so you won't have to search very far. I believe one of the impulses available is the "real" 4080. Check it out.

I'm assuming it would be next to impossible to get a workable model of a chorus or flanger/phaser?

My guess is the impulse files are too short for what is mostly a time-based effect?

I also haven't heard a decent guitar model using Accoustic Mirror, but hey, the reverbs are so damn good, who am I to complain?

Ya I downloaded a few impulses and they are all "rar" files. When I try and open one through acoustic mirror it won't recognize them. Please let me know. Thanks.

Re: Sir

Playitloud said:
I just D-loaded the Sir program. All that is in the file is a .dll.
How do you install it?

Unlike Direct x plugins most VST plugs don't actually need to be 'installed', just drop the '.dll' in your application's 'VST plugins' folder and your app should find it next time it's launched.

Back