recreational listening?

Everything goes through my interface and monitors. 'Everything' means anything computer-based (e.g. YT etc). My need for analog (cassettes, tapes or vinyl) is so minimal that it would have to be patched in.

Everything goes through my interface and monitors. 'Everything' means anything computer-based (e.g. YT etc). My need for analog (cassettes, tapes or vinyl) is so minimal that it would have to be patched in.

Ah! The patching. Prior to my aquisitions I had had a revamp of my "studio" and put a substantial shelf* above the PC/AI/BK passive. This holds a Sony 3hd cassette deck, a video recorder/player, a Philips DCRecorder (will have to move) and a Mdisc rec/player. All goes to a small jack box to allow patching into inputs 3/4 of the KA6...NOW! I need to get quality vinyl sound over to the PC setup and that is 5mtrs away as the balanced XLR runs. Think about that post Holiday.

*will post pics and a plan.

Dave.

Indeed but at what quality level?
In my experience, mostly plenty good enough. I generally try to avoid vinyl rips if there's a better quality video available, but I think the context of my reply was something about "haven't heard it in years, probably won't listen to it again for years", so how important is it really?

I'm kind of a freak for patchbays. I really don't enjoy digging around behind a pile of gear to change connections, so anything that's "permanent" gets a point on the patchbay and preferably normalled to something. If I need to patch something in temporarily I just pick a couple holes.

^^^+1
While I was moving a bunch of vinyl from storage to recording area in preparation for ripping that hasn't yet occurred the whole time I was saying (out loud cuz I are an idiot) " I didn't know I had that! What is this? Where did this come from?" etc. A lot of oh yeahs too

In my experience, mostly plenty good enough. I generally try to avoid vinyl rips if there's a better quality video available, but I think the context of my reply was something about "haven't heard it in years, probably won't listen to it again for years", so how important is it really?

I'm kind of a freak for patchbays. I really don't enjoy digging around behind a pile of gear to change connections, so anything that's "permanent" gets a point on the patchbay and preferably normalled to something. If I need to patch something in temporarily I just pick a couple holes.

There won't be videos for the sort of discs I will be digifying. Son's SRVaughn albums, Beautiful South. I have a lot of classical stuff I would like to put on HDD. In any case video still involves some lossy conversion.

With you on patch bays Ash. I don't have one for my tiny setup but "tie lines" get terminated into metal boxes with TRS jacks so I can plug in anything I want. Just got to get on with it!

Dave.

I hope you have better luck than I did. When I moved to this house 9 years ago I set up my tracking room with a turntable and receiver output to my desk specifically so I could start digitizing all my vinyl. So far not even one has been transferred:rolleyes:

LMAO. It's even worse when you go to do your old tape-based home videos. :D

LMAO. It's even worse when you go to do your old tape-based home videos. :D

Eek! Some years ago Radio 3 spent 3 days (about, IIRC) broadcasting every piece Beethoven ever wrote that had been recorded. I got 95% of it on HI FI sound video tape. No internet then and I could never have afforded all those CDs. The tapes are still in the loft, sealed in boxes. One day!

Dave.

There won't be videos for the sort of discs I will be digifying. Son's SRVaughn albums, Beautiful South.

;)

I copied a bunch of my VHS to DVD at one point. Eventually perhaps I'll get the important parts to YouTube.

After carrying and storing so much physical media for so goddamn long, I'm really happy to go to the cloud based system. The compromises of streaming services are not worse in my estimation than the compromises in the previous iterations. Different perhaps, but not worse. Real bad VHS is really bad and even halfway decent isn't really better than YouTube today. The things I put up for streaming (bandcamp, YouTube, etc) are there mostly so that I can see or hear them whenever I want and I don't need the literal piles of plastic that I used to haul around on road trips.

Course then I've got two bins of ADAT tapes from a very productive few years at two different studios. Many of them probably have some interesting stuff on them, but a lot of it was synced via SMPTE to files on computers that we haven't seen in decades in proprietary formats that we couldn't play even if we had them. A lot of times that midi file was the only thing that made what's on the tapes make any sense at all. And then some of them were sessions with a second ADAT synced up in parallel, but labeling is inconsistent at best and actual notes are all but non-existent. My father made some effort to rip some of them, but it is a long and tortuous process that's not likely to get us much usable content. If somebody was funding a boxed set release, it might be worth a look...

Eek! Some years ago Radio 3 spent 3 days (about, IIRC) broadcasting every piece Beethoven ever wrote that had been recorded. I got 95% of it on HI FI sound video tape. No internet then and I could never have afforded all those CDs. The tapes are still in the loft, sealed in boxes. One day!

Dave.
During the last move I ended up having a time crunch and of the many things that got tossed was all my cassette tapes both commercial releases and almost all of my original 4 tracks from when I first started out on a Porta 05. The tapes were pretty much useless/stretched/worn but they are the only things I regret getting rid of. Just the idea of them anyway!

;)

I copied a bunch of my VHS to DVD at one point. Eventually perhaps I'll get the important parts to YouTube.

After carrying and storing so much physical media for so goddamn long, I'm really happy to go to the cloud based system. The compromises of streaming services are not worse in my estimation than the compromises in the previous iterations. Different perhaps, but not worse. Real bad VHS is really bad and even halfway decent isn't really better than YouTube today. The things I put up for streaming (bandcamp, YouTube, etc) are there mostly so that I can see or hear them whenever I want and I don't need the literal piles of plastic that I used to haul around on road trips.

Course then I've got two bins of ADAT tapes from a very productive few years at two different studios. Many of them probably have some interesting stuff on them, but a lot of it was synced via SMPTE to files on computers that we haven't seen in decades in proprietary formats that we couldn't play even if we had them. A lot of times that midi file was the only thing that made what's on the tapes make any sense at all. And then some of them were sessions with a second ADAT synced up in parallel, but labeling is inconsistent at best and actual notes are all but non-existent. My father made some effort to rip some of them, but it is a long and tortuous process that's not likely to get us much usable content. If somebody was funding a boxed set release, it might be worth a look...

Eeek! Two minutes and I wanted to slash my wrists. HOW bloody miserable is that? Ok, so you found some BS but I still believe my Ortofon is going to give me better basic qualtiy than YT video. ESPECIALLY since I would know nothing of the source.

I have started! Done a 24 bit copy of Steve Ray*, Double Trouble. I found that the 8i6 would work across 5mtrs of USB cable to a desktop and that lines 3/4 fed from the Arcam tape outs gave a bang on -20dBfs level with nothing peaking above neg 6. There are only a couple of "spits" which I can clip out with Samplitude.

At 73 I think I have MORE than my life's work here? Ludwig don't stand a chance!

*are there any copyright issue if I were to post a 10sec clip of that? IF of course anyone is in the least interested!

Dave.

Cool then. Do it better and post on YouTube for yourself and the rest of us. :)

They take care of all the copyright stuff for you. Some content is more tightly controlled by the publishing companies and might get pulled, more often blocked in some territories, but much more often they just put ads on your video and send the money to the rights holder.

Edit - also I realized that the vid I posted was actually a pretty dreadful capture, but honestly that's what vinyl sounds like to me. Even when it doesn't. If you tell me it came from vinyl, I hear that no matter how good it actually might be. ;)

Cool then. Do it better and post on YouTube for yourself and the rest of us. :)

They take care of all the copyright stuff for you. Some content is more tightly controlled by the publishing companies and might get pulled, more often blocked in some territories, but much more often they just put ads on your video and send the money to the rights holder.

Edit - also I realized that the vid I posted was actually a pretty dreadful capture, but honestly that's what vinyl sounds like to me. Even when it doesn't. If you tell me it came from vinyl, I hear that no matter how good it actually might be. ;)

Oh! My meaning was to post a 30 second clip for all to harken unto? I would say a top quality 320k MP3 encoded by Samplitude Pro X 3 would be very little different from a 16 bit .wav?

Dave.

Back