Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: recreational listening?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've got a gigabit home network, so the video latency is negligible. My gaming machine is the host so no latency at all there. My recording/video editing machine is the client, and I haven't been bothered by the tiny amount of video lag that I see. There's a little but not enough to bother me in Reaper or Resolve. And the client is the one with the main audio interface and monitoring system, so no audio lag. The host is running it's own audio interface whose outputs are patched into the main interface.

The KVM switch I got didn't properly pass along the monitor's EDID so it wouldn't support 3440x1440 even though it advertised that it could. Plus it wouldn't pass through G-Sync, which was a deal breaker for my gaming rig. And it flat out didn't work with my mouse either. So KVM was a total fail for my setup.

Remote Desktop has been working beautifully for me though. The only time it's a pain is when the client needs any sort of administration in the BIOS. RD doesn't connect until windows is fully booted up, so digging out a monitor and connecting it is a giant pain.

Thanks
    Ok. I can see that. You have much higher demands than I and if the KVM just can't keep up for whatever reason...

For the most part the lag in my VNC system isn't a big issue. I prefer not to do any editing that way, but it's more because the devices I use to connect are awkward for that kind of thing and I'd rather just drag the project files to the mix machine. I could (have) easily patch that live machine into the mix system too if I want, but it usually drives the PA in the basement.

Thanks
    same here....the interface is the soundcard for everything. (pc internal soundcard is disabled)

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    I also listen though the same speakers to almost everything, a pair of neumann kh120a's, they are ridiculously accurate and neutral, if something sounds bad on them it really is bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Btyre2013 View Post
    I also listen though the same speakers to almost everything, a pair of neumann kh120a's, they are ridiculously accurate and neutral, if something sounds bad on them it really is bad.
    Same here. Excellent speakers are Excellent speakers :>)
    I always thought the whole 'speakers to aid or hide tracks flaws' a bit of an odd chase.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mixsit For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    There has been a development since my post of 2 weeks ago. I have been given a rather good hi fi system. Rega Planar TT, Ortofon MM cartridge, Arcam Alpha6+ int' amp, Arcam CD player and (F.in.Ell!) two Mission 775 speakers.

Now. I have nowhere to set this up in my living room so it is in my "studio" bedroom. The system sounds glorious and I can see me spending more time in there duping vinyl and playing my son's vast CD collection! I also have sheds of cassettes and Mdiscs to check and possibly put on HDD.

Dave.

Thanks
    I hope you have better luck than I did. When I moved to this house 9 years ago I set up my tracking room with a turntable and receiver output to my desk specifically so I could start digitizing all my vinyl. So far not even one has been transferred
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I hope you have better luck than I did. When I moved to this house 9 years ago I set up my tracking room with a turntable and receiver output to my desk specifically so I could start digitizing all my vinyl. So far not even one has been transferred
    LOL. I ran into an unexpected buzz kill' here on mine. Recording these disks I kept 'cause I like them. I hadn't heard in so long.. But now that I have, wonder how long 'till I need to again..
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    But now that I have, wonder how long 'till I need to again..
    Bet most of them are on YouTube anyway.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Bet most of them are on YouTube anyway.
    Indeed but at what quality level? Vinyl especially demands a good replay system, if someone is ripping "Peppers" with a BSR tt and and a ceramic cartidge that ain't good. The setup I have inherited might not be in the 10,000 "audiophool" class but it is pretty bloody good.

I do agree that inertia can stop the job being done. Some years ago my daughter, then in her 30s, wanted me to put her punk 45s onto CD as she no longer had a record player. Copying 100 sides of such ***t is very wearing on a Bach lover!

Dave.

Thread Information