Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: recreational listening?

Thanks

recreational listening?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all!

For recording, you all might have your headphones straight into an external audio device (like Focusrite/Tascam/...) to get your audio into your favourite DAW, and your output directly via this same interface?

Do you use the same interface/setup when you recreationally using the same computer for watching youtube or listening other music online?
    Or do you use other cheap headphones directly to the output of your computer? (without external interface)

Just wondering!

Thanks
    My interface is on all the time on the computer [Mac Mini] it's connected to, so it's all I use for any audio output on that system.

I just use the headphone/combo output on my notebook. It's not bad at all through decent headphones, which is all I have with that system.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    Hi all!

For recording, you all might have your headphones straight into an external audio device (like Focusrite/Tascam/...) to get your audio into your favourite DAW, and your output directly via this same interface?

Do you use the same interface/setup when you recreationally using the same computer for watching youtube or listening other music online?
    Or do you use other cheap headphones directly to the output of your computer? (without external interface)

Just wondering!
    Most of the time I just plug my AKG K92s into this i3 HP lappy to hear YT stuff or, as I did earlier today feed HDMI to a 42"smart TV and listen via 5.1 system. If I want to get the full SP of a music track I go into my "studio", small bedroom and listen via DT PC, NI KA6 and Tannoy 5As. But not often these days.

Note. the Behringer UCA202 has been auditioned by an "audiophile" and some measurements made. For the price the D/A performance is very good, better than most laptop soundcards. Only 16 bit but then almost everything on'tweb is 16 bits or worse anyway! The RECORD side of the 202 is not so clever but, if you keeps to sane levels, still better than "Realtek"!

Dave.

Thanks
    I'm on PC. Nine times out of ten I use the built in sound card for vids, etc. I have had windows switch Default sound devices on me so I made a short cut for the Sound control panel that I leave on my desktop so If I need critical listening to a particular vid or wav I can easily switch between interface and inboard. Of course I have to also do the labor of moving the headphone plug. On my bigger system I can switch to my desk and output to amps/speakers as needed also.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    My mix room is my living room. I actually have two computers - the "studio" machine never goes online and is only for recording and mixing and the "living room" machine is for watching Netflix and YouTube and listening to my music library and all that kind of thing. They both use the same keyboard, video monitor, and mouse and I go between them with a KVR switch. They each have their own interface which is connected to a headphone amp that lets me switch each output between them. One of those outputs feeds my studio monitors. So yes I listen to everything through the same speakers, but it's not the same interface. For a while the living room machine was just using its built in sound. It wasn't that bad, but it was subject to a lot of noise. That thing where you can hear your mouse and sometimes even hear the colors on the screen change. I installed a Tascam US2x2 and ran balanced to the headphone amp and that all went away. I happened to have that around. It is kind of wasted where it is because I never record through it, just use it for its DAC, but it makes a real difference.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Talk about waste Ash? My living room computer is really just a host for my printer/scanner but the interface is an ESI 1010e multitracker! The reasons are complex and some time ago.
    The 1010e drives a pair of "SureSound" active speakers. Really rather better than average PC speakers. Wooden box and a 4" woofer and a decent looking tweeter (rip of the Celestion HF1300). For domestic levels they are not at all bad. The system needs revamping now though because I want to put all the sound through my newly aquired 5.1 setup.

That is! Until I can afford my Result 6s! Or the Neumann 3 way? Or.....????

Dave.

Thanks
    I listen to everything through the same monitors. Mackie Big Knob has input from separate computers for Youtube type stuff and the recording one.

I think it best to always monitor with the same speakers. It all about understanding what they tell you.

And BTW, Ash, I had a serious issue involving latency using one of those KVR switches years ago. Hope yours is working well.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    And BTW, Ash, I had a serious issue involving latency using one of those KVR switches years ago. Hope yours is working well.
    I've never had a problem, and have used several different ones in several different situations over the years. It does preclude me using the HDMI output on my living room machine (the studio machine doesn't have it), but I'm okay with that. I did, however, mean KVM.

Thanks
    I listen to everything through the same speakers. My home studio is a combination of two spaces that used to exist at my old house, but now my gaming/YouTube/browsing computer and my studio computer are in the same room.

I tried a KVM switch but it never worked very well for me. So now I'm using Remote Desktop, and I patch audio from my gaming rig into my audio setup. It's overly complicated for what it is, but it works and it sounds great.

Thanks
    See that's just weird to me. Not saying you're doing anything wrong, but it sounds backwards. I would expect some latency with Renote Desktop. I use VNC to control my live machine, and I've just learned to live with that little bit of visual lag.

KVM should just work, though. It's almost the same as unplugging the keyboard, monitor, and mouse from the one machine and plugging them into the other, except all you have to do is flip a switch or hit a key combination. Some machines get squirrelly I guess when input devices are connected and disconnected. There's often a little bit of lag right after the switch where it maybe hasn't figured everything out, and actually it seems to interrupt sound playback on my studio machine causing it to make a stupid noise sometimes, and every once in a while it won't find the mouse for some reason and I usually have to switch back and forth again to make it work. I've never had real trouble during normal use, though. Maybe I'm just lucky, or you've got some special circumstances. I've done it for years with no problems, and am surprised to hear about your troubles.

Thread Information