RCA to XLR....impedance loss?

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
I want to use a Gemini CDX-01 cd player live for samples and it has RCA outputs in the back. What is the best way to connect this up to the house mixer? I was just guessing I could get 2 Male RCA-->Female XLR adaptors and run the 2 xlr cables to the board. That's the easy way right?

My only thought was an impedance mismatch from a line level component (with NO volume control on the CD player) to a low impedance/mic input. I guess the guy at the board would just hit the mic/line button right?

Am I thinking way too much about this?

when i do a live PA i take a cdplayer with me to play music in between the bands, i don't connect it to the RCA tape-input,
i put some simple RCA-to-1/4" adaptors on the cable and connect the CDplayer to the line ins of two mono channels,
this way i got EQ and easy volume control

i don't think there are impedance differences between rca or jack (correct me if im wrong!!) but there is a volume difference since rca is unbalanced and thus 6db less loud.

thanks for your replies.

I don't know how many clubs offer 2 1/4" cables to the stage? I figured they were all XLRs. Would it be a hassle for the soundguy to do that?

i think the DIs might be the best bet, unless I could just get away with the 6bd loss and the soundguy could fix it at the board.

Go to Radio Shack and get a ten foot dual RCA-dual 1/4" cable. Order a couple of $25 Behringer DIs from somewhere. Tape them together with gaffer tape (not duct tape) and label them L and R. Problem solved. At least get the cable. That will cover you in most places big enough to have a soundguy, any place with a soundguy likely has a DI or two. (hopefully)

I'm thinking a CD player wouldn't like driving a low impedance mic input through 50 or 100 feet of snake. But say it works. If the guy's board doesn't have pads, you might need to jack into his 1/4" line inputs, and you'd need extra adapters or inline pads. Plugging stuff like this into a mic input usually means too much level, not too little.

DIs usually have pads. DIs also have ground lifts, to get rid of 60 cycle hum. After you buy all that shit, you might as well have got two DIs. And no setup hassles, either.

Most soundguys will be happy that you thought enough to have 1/4", not RCA. If you have your own DIs, some may actually need medical help from the shock. And when you get to that club where the soundguy says "Huh. DIs. I have one, it's for bass.", you'll be glad you have them.

Back