Rane AP13 Preamp -- advice for ribbon use?

Obi-Wan zenabI

I have this, and use it in my live upright rig with just a piezo.

http://rane.com/pdf/old/ap13dat.pdf

The piezo input impedance is 5 Megaohms, and the mic input is 20kOhms (but goes to 1.8kOhms with phantom power engaged. (of course I'll leave that off.)

The input is a single trs for both the piezo and mic channel, with a shared ground. I plan on playing around with it and my RSM-4. Any advice before I do?

EDIT: I suppose my main question would be this: How to I get the xlr into this shared TRS input? I wouldn't want to use one of my line matching transformers, as that would defeat the benefits of the 20K impedance, right?

Last edited:
I have this, and use it in my live upright rig with just a piezo.

http://rane.com/pdf/old/ap13dat.pdf

The piezo input impedance is 5 Megaohms, and the mic input is 20kOhms (but goes to 1.8kOhms with phantom power engaged. (of course I'll leave that off.)

The input is a single trs for both the piezo and mic channel, with a shared ground. I plan on playing around with it and my RSM-4. Any advice before I do?

EDIT: I suppose my main question would be this: How to I get the xlr into this shared TRS input? I wouldn't want to use one of my line matching transformers, as that would defeat the benefits of the 20K impedance, right?

I suppose you could just use an XLR -> TRS cable adapter. I have a bunch of them that I use because my Lynx cables terminate as XLRs and some of my rack pieces use TRS. I think I bought about 16 of them for @$4 each off an e-bay vendor. They work just fine.

So there will be no problem with the whole tip=mic, ring=ground, sleeve=piezo? (or whatever the combination is-- I didn't re-check....)

I'm not exactly sure how it would work with the mic separation, but for $4, it's a cheap test.

Looks like you'd have to wire a custom adapter... two unbalanced lines with a shared ground...

Ap13

I used to have this Preamp, it's a great unit, especially when you want to blend two sources.

The first thing I would do is get an TRS insert adapter. This will split the 1/4" TRS into two separate 1/4" mono sources. Then get a XLR to 1/4" mono adapter to plug your mic into, and I think your set.

I used to have this Preamp, it's a great unit, especially when you want to blend two sources.

The first thing I would do is get an TRS insert adapter. This will split the 1/4" TRS into two separate 1/4" mono sources. Then get a XLR to 1/4" mono adapter to plug your mic into, and I think your set.

This makes sense. I could probably also use it when I eventually get a good mic for live DB sound.

I'll report on how it sounds, with a comparison to my firepod's pres. Judging by the specs on the PDF, I hope to hear a marked improvement.

O-Wz

Back