question- to turn off rack gear or use a power strip On/OFF

CoolCat

All my current few pieces have a front panel power on/off button.
Some I have had and a preamp for example, Daking MicrPreOne, doesnt have a power on/off so apparently using the strip/power switch is required.

Is there any difference or damage to other units that do have a power button if they are turned on/off with a power strip switch?

I suppose the one option is just shut everything down like a airplane cockpit, flipping the phantom power off, then the volume knob to zero, then the power switch, then the main ac outlet strip power switch to off..... maybe that answers my question in one way.

but I still kind of wonder does it do damage to a unit to slam it off with the main ac source instead of using the power button on the unit?

Some amps have relays that open before removing power to keep the speakers from thumping. Other than that, I don't see any reason not to use a power strip switch. I do it regardless of the speaker thump.

Yeah. Turn off any power amps or powered speakers first. Then just flip the switch on the strip and be on your way. Unless there's a computer involved. They tend to want to do...something...before turning off, so it's best to tell the OS to shut off. Except my live machine won't automatically boot if I tell it to shut down, and since I can't reach its power switch to turn it back on, I've been just cutting power for years without any problem except loss of projects that I should have saved before I turned off the strip.

Unless any of the rack equipment is surge sensitive, then the only other reason for staged power up or down would be if a device makes a nasty noise or click when powered up in the wrong order. I've got a graphic that comes on muted, and unmuting goes pop. Other than that, I power up all my racks by simply applying the power from wherever they powered from. In fact, at the moment, everything in my studio apart from two items has one master switch that I can flick off. Doesn't;t cause any issues at all.

Honestly, I've always felt like with most gear, power up is the most stressful thing it actually does, so I usually just leave stuff on. I know it's not super eco-friendly, but solid state gear doesn't really draw much power especially at idle. With tubes, you have to wait for them to warm up, and just generally the more time and steps I have to take between "I want to record" and "red light on, tape rolling" the more likely it is that I'll just watch another episode of Amazing Race instead.

My system hasn't been turned off since I got back from working away in January. It will remain on until I go away again in November - then, I use the switch.

My PA system racks are powered up each day on one switch, and over the years, identical units have proven less reliable when cycled on-off daily. This could just be luck, but I replace far more in the theatre than back in my 24/7 studio.

I worked as a technician for a world wide company that sold electronics from office equipment to medical and optical / camera equipment. (retired now)

Over the years it became obvious that the three things that caused the most predictable damage to electrical components (other than operator error such as liquid spills etc) were power surges (W/O protection)..........age (defined as number of "power ons" the unit was subjected to).......and fluctuating current. Component degradation.........however slight.....is a real result of all those factors. Component quality and even some environmental factors such as room temp........humidity... and line noise.......also affect failure rates.

We had customers with extremely expensive electronics who never powered down.

If you have a good upfront surge protector and stable noiseless power........it's likely that leaving your units on is best for their life span.

You can check your power with a line meter for spikes and dips. To do it properly you'd need to leave the meter on for 24 hours or so. Most home setups are affected by what they share their line with........refrigerators (motors of any kind)......lighting.....heaters......etc. They all cause havoc......ie damage to sensitive chips and other components.

Plus switches wear out and they take the brunt of the spike, if you've ever taken one apart you can see the arc marks. The only things that I insist on using onboard power switches rather than a power strip are digital equipment that have required shut down procedures like my computers and my digital desk .Although it doesn't seem to really hurt the stuff if you don't. I turn everything off if I am not going to use stuff for a while only because with everything on so much heat is generated that my air conditioning has to run longer and the a/c does use a lot of power that I have to pay for. In the winter(what passes for it here anyway), I don't worry about shutting stuff down at all.

Is there any difference or damage to other units that do have a power button if they are turned on/off with a power strip switch?

Turning off, there is zero difference.
Whether it's the switch on the unit; switch on a power strip; breaker switch ... it is the same.
The electrons don't know if they're stopping at the switch on the chassis or 10 feet before that.

Now, yes, all those other concerns everyone brings up, well, yes, there's lots of combinations that can be unhappy. But that's only for turning ON. Turning off? No matter.

I routinely turn ON a dozen modules at a time - no power amps or even a mixer, but just synth modules and FX. No problemo. The audio chain gets its own personalized attention.

P5

Turning off? No matter.
Uhhh...Well...

I was playing a show at a really stupid bar that I probably should never have been booked in, but it was part of the annual local music festival. The owner decided he was sick of listening to me drone on while my friends interrupted his hockey game by asking him to sell them beer, so he came up and threw the breaker for the stage.

POP!!!

One of the 18" speakers in each of the two PA stacks were blown. The owner of the PA and half of the festival committee showed up. Dude was billed like $300 for equipment damage and the show they were supposed to host the next day got split out to different venues.

But also, my band plays through the computer for amp sims and drum machines and such, and the Reaper project I was recording into didn't get saved. The audio data was there somewhere, but it was kind of a hassle to put it back together.

I prefer to power up in this order. Reverse for powering down.

Rack gear first.
Computer second
Console third
Power amp and powered monitors last.

Now when im actively using the studio, as in not away from it for more than 12 hours, I'll leave everything on.
However, the computer always gets shut down overnite and monitoring is off.

Uhhh...Well...

I was playing a show at a really stupid bar that I probably should never have been booked in, but it was part of the annual local music festival. The owner decided he was sick of listening to me drone on while my friends interrupted his hockey game by asking him to sell them beer, so he came up and threw the breaker for the stage.

POP!!!

One of the 18" speakers in each of the two PA stacks were blown. The owner of the PA and half of the festival committee showed up. Dude was billed like $300 for equipment damage and the show they were supposed to host the next day got split out to different venues.

I'm not trying to be obstinate, but I stand by what I said.
It doesn't matter.

In fact, I think the example you cite almost proves it.

The problem at your gig was not some magic of using power switches over breakers, it was because during power-down, your mixers and amps (and other gear) don't play well together. Mixers can be especially unruly. I think we all know this.

Let's say you got a guy on each switch of each piece of equipment and they all switched everything off at the exact same time. (For 'science', right?) The result of blown speaks would be the same. No different than throwing a breaker. There is no difference.

So yes, I completely agree that once power amps are involved (and maybe a sidebar for phantom powered mics), then the sequence matters because those great big capacitors gotta discharge SOMEwhere and if the mixer spurts, as most do, it'll happen long before the power amps go to sleep. We're in total agreement.

So sure, i probably shoulda mentioned that. In my case, "gear" doesn't include large PA systems, so the assumption was incorrect on my part.

Ponder5

Disclaimer -- I turn my stuff off. I'm pulling around 6A with the usual stuff running (not counting lights, computers & video monitors, etc.). That bill would be too damn high.

The power being fed is clean -- The gear has a dedicated circuit going into a VARIAC for control and a pair of the "older style" (a.k.a. "real") Monster units with stepped power-ups & downs (amps on last, off first, etc.).

That all out of the way -- I use these cheapie hardwired switches on each rack and they're great for individual control. I've seen them under several names (including ADJ), they're 30 or 40 bucks and they do the job.

Top of both sides -- And I have one on the data rack and the source rack also.

MassiveMoneyShotCrop.jpg

My VERY modest setup, two tower PCs, z10 mixer, small mixer for monitor control to 2 Tannoy 5As and some other kit, cassette recorder, MDsic redorder all got powered up from two switches on a double 13A outlet every day for at least 10 years. Never a problem. But...

In UK power is very clean and stable. Not that that matters for the "SWOFF/SWON" debate. If you have crap power you need PROPER mains conditioners, not the cheap ***t sold at B&Q.

Then, it is a bit of a hobby horse of mine that kit makers should take responsibility here? A 100nF filter cap across a mains switch catches the "spike" as the mains traff field collapses. Thermistors can be used to control "inrush" current.

My Tannoys DON'T pop at on OR off but if yours do power them from wireless mains switches (a cheap and much under utilized modern device). Bang everything on then hit the tit for monitors, they default to "off" do you see?

Dave.

That all out of the way -- I use these cheapie hardwired switches on each rack and they're great for individual control. I've seen them under several names (including ADJ), they're 30 or 40 bucks and they do the job.

Top of both sides -- And I have one on the data rack and the source rack also.

View attachment 103119

Thanks! Just grabbed one of those ADJs, I've been worried about turning on/off some of my rack gear with their little "toggle" switches all the time, and I'd rather kill the switches in a $30 unit than my $300-600 units.

Not Exactly...

Turning off, there is zero difference.
Whether it's the switch on the unit; switch on a power strip; breaker switch ... it is the same.
The electrons don't know if they're stopping at the switch on the chassis or 10 feet before that.

Now, yes, all those other concerns everyone brings up, well, yes, there's lots of combinations that can be unhappy. But that's only for turning ON. Turning off? No matter.

I routinely turn ON a dozen modules at a time - no power amps or even a mixer, but just synth modules and FX. No problemo. The audio chain gets its own personalized attention.

P5

Some modules keep a light draw to maintain setting info, or need a shutdown sequence ( you have probably even noticed some modules hesitate for a split second after you push the off button). And yes, internal batteries help offset this issue, but this is the equivalent of shutting down your computer or DAW by yanking the cord out of the wall... it will shut it off, but the risk of a digital failure is greatly increased... why take the risk? BigBob1962

Some modules keep a light draw to maintain setting info, or need a shutdown sequence ( you have probably even noticed some modules hesitate for a split second after you push the off button). And yes, internal batteries help offset this issue, but this is the equivalent of shutting down your computer or DAW by yanking the cord out of the wall... it will shut it off, but the risk of a digital failure is greatly increased... why take the risk? BigBob1962

I am sure I have read somewhere that a computer PSU has to, by law, have a 1 second "storage" time as a minimum? One second it an eternity to a computer and I am sure routines are embedded that take care of vital things when the power goes off?

The desktop in my now rarely used "studio" is sometimes on all day and then, totally s*****ed out at bedtime I cannot be arsed to shut it down with a mouse so I just bang the mains off at the bedroom door. All that happens at the next switch on is it goes into a "resume" mode and takes a wee bit longer to boot. Must have done that a score of times over the years? Never a problem.

Of course! IF I had £20,000 worth of digital studio kit AND it earned my living I would have the bloody lot on UPS'es and would be VERY careful to shut stuff down properly so as not to take the risk of losing a days work. BUT! I would still just bang the lot on with a few switches, maybe just one!

In fact if you DON'T have computers at least on a UPS it is pointless worrying about how you switch things on and off!

Dave.

For a computer, it is very true that turning it on is the hardest on the components and drive. I worked at a very large company and we left every computer on 24/7, except for weekends. In just the home office, this would be around 500 computers and 200 dumb terminals. We never turned the servers off except to shut them down once a month, and restart them. But, I wonder about the more sensitive devices these days that are completely digital. The analog world had no issues at all with any of this, but digital chips are very sensitive to surges in current, spikes, fluctuating power, etc.

Some things would be perfectly fine to leave on all of the time, except you are paying for the electricity. And digital things don't take much current to leave on. Just be sure they aren't on the same breaker as your window AC unit or a refrigerator. When the compressor comes on or goes off, in one of those, a surge is sent down the line to everything and over time, it will damage your digital chips.

A computer on the same line would be the same, since it is primarily digital, but never turning it off is also not good as you might not get the full advantage of your RAM unless you do. Some programs don't give RAM back, when you don't use them. So, the only way to get all of the potential of your RAM back is to do a warm boot or cold boot. A warm boot is more gentle than a cold boot. Also, just turning it off isn't a good thing, either. If you have programs open, they can be damaged by files being corrupted, because they were open at the time power was removed. And even if you just have Windows open, you can create digital holes in your hard drive called bad sectors. Removing power without shutting down may create lost chains in that line of sectors. Usually, the computer can repair these lost chains with no problem, but sometimes you end up with bits of files with no home. You can't put those file bits back where they came from and you've lost data.

If you have power creators like amps or something that sucks a lot of current on the same line as something digital, they will also be OK to leave on, as long as you want to pay the electricity bill. But, some of those can get pretty hot. Heat is not good for digital chips and if you have tubes, they have a life span that you are using up by leaving them turned on. Granted, there is no set time on tubes, but just like light bulbs, they can burn out at any time.

If you want to turn your equipment off when not in use, if your equipment has a good surge suppressor in-between each, I don't think it matters that much about a sequence of turning things on or off. But, if you don't, I'd suggest turning things on and off in a set sequence. Turn power creators like amps on first, and off last. Turn any really sensitive digital things on after amps are fully up and turn them off before you power down your amps.

If you have any devices that load drivers from the computer, you'll have to have them turned on before you power up the computer, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just don't assume that those power creators in your system aren't pumping a surge into your sensitive digital stuff. They can act just like a compressor in a window AC unit or refrigerator. Surges in current, uneven current, and spikes...those are some of the worst things on your digital chips. This process will give you less power surge on the line when turning the high power devices on and off that might send a surge of current through the line to any digital device that's turned on.

On a side note...
Many of you know that a hard drive will place parts of a file where ever it finds space. Music files can be quite large and unless you have sufficient drive space, the computer can end up putting parts of a file all over the place, where ever it finds room. When you call that file back up again, the computer puts all of those bits back together again before it's a whole file. Large drives with a lot of space will do this a lot less than a drive that has limited space for new files. Defragging your drive is a good practice to get into, even if you have sufficient space for flies. It just keeps your drive happy and doing less work. It will also slightly speed up the loading of large files. And if there are any sectors that have an "iffy" surface area, defragging will find them and either repair them or the computer will mark them as unusable. That's a good thing, but I don't know if I would continue to trust a drive that has any bad sectors that weren't repairable.

Back