Proper use of "drain wire"

mixmagix

I'm presently wiring up a +4 console in my studio with some Mogami snakes and I can't remember what the correct hook-up procedure is for the "drain wire". Anyone remember ? ?

The drain-wire is parallel with the standard strand-wire shield. The drain-wire is just a convenience-thing for easy crimping, when applicable.

I've used the drain-wire for soldering to connectors many times before... I don't know why, because it's a bit of a pain, but I have many times... Just not thinking... Soldering-up snakes gets pretty darn monotonous after awhile...

In fact, I've got a Mogami 2936 24-ch. snake with Neutrik NYS228 1/4" TRS connectors on one end (with pin 1 lifted) and prepped on the other end, only to find out I accidently cut it to 15 ft. instead of the 20 ft. I needed!!! OPPPSSS!!! Not thinking... It gets that way when you been making a BUNCH of snakes... So, need to sell it.

Drain wire

That's interesting, I'm also using Mogami 2936 24-chan. right now. So if I understand you correctly you just include the drain wire into the solder connection WITH the shield at both ends ? ? I had it in my head for some reason that one end of the drain was left disconnected for some reason ? ?

As far as your snake goes I might be able to put that to use.

No, I'm saying you can use one or the other... Either the drain-wire exculsively, or the strand-wire shield exculsively. When I said "parallel", I was just letting you know they run-along next to each other, touching each other, all along the snake.

Usually, you'd use the drain-wire if crimping or the strand-wire shield when soldering. I was just saying I've used the drain-wire to solder to connectors plenty of times, just because I wasn't thinking...

Whichever you're not using (the drain-wire or strand-wire shield), you can just cut it off while you're prepping the ends.

I assume you remember the shield goes to pin 1/ sleeve (XLR/ 1/4" TRS)? Or was that what you were asking in the first place? Anyway, you can "lift" it if you'd like to help avoid ground-loops; some gear don't like that though. You can do this at the input or output of your gear, but the key here is making sure either the input ONLY or the output ONLY... Another words, make sure you're 100% consistent. Now days, most people choose the input, yours truly included.

Yeah, if you could use my snake, let me know.

Recording Engineer said:
No, I'm saying you can use one or the other... Either the drain-wire exculsively, or the strand-wire shield exculsively.

Uhhh... as long as they're going to the same place... you can use both without a struggle. It's not a 'dual path to ground' by any stretch of the imagination.

Well of course you can... Just as you can use one or the other...

I did say they run parellel... I suppose I could have clarified that I meant "electrically-wise" and not "running next to each other, but never touching"...

That's an ironic concept...

Recording Engineer said:
Well of course you can... Just as you can use one or the other...

Yabut... in actually thinking about it, why on earth [no pun intended] would you not want to use both? ...as the net result is a larger path to ground... which is a good thing.

You gotta admit that some of these thread title are decieving. I came in here just to talk plumbing techniques with 8 guage coat hangers. Its monday right??

SoMm

Back