Project: Ward Beck Line Input --> Rackmount Mic Pre

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
Steenamaroo from the forums here got me into this Ward Beck stuff recently, and has been helping me with this project. He's also doing one, and of a larger scale (8 modules!).

I'm converting two line input modules into two mic pres for a 2U rackmount unit.
Gonna use a couple of the existing switches -- one for a pad and one for 48v phantom power.

I've put $448 into it so far between the two modules, transformer, psu, and chassis (finally found a nice chassis from Middle Atlantic). Still waiting on the latter three of those to be delivered here.

Should be fun!

001.JPG

002.JPG

Just thought I'd share. :eek:

*a note about Ward Beck: Paul Harvey used one! :)

Last edited:
Will do, moreyy.

I just realized that I completely forgot there was a DIY forum. So if a mod wants to move this, feel free.

got a parcel today....

And so it begins!!!! :)

mymodules.jpg

mymodules2.jpg

Gona wire em up the same as austin, but i'm gona have line in also, and use one of the extra routing options to feed a summing card :)

Duno how useful it'll be but hey...why not right?

let's hope so :laughings:

i think i might be living on baked beans for a while! lol.

Can't decide if i should built a standalone wooden cabinet, or fit these into my desk in place of the 003 (which still hasn't sold<sniff>)

Surprise for me, I found this in the mailbox today.

package.jpg

It's my power supply and transformer from Australia! (JLM Audio)
Here it is out of the box.

psutranpackaged.jpg

Decided to assemble them and get everything soldered.

bottompsu.jpg

psutransformer.jpg

My plan for tomorrow is to hopefully wire it up just to test it out.. and if all is good I will start figuring out how I'm going to fit it and lay it out in my Middle Atlantic rackmount chassis.

Back