Presonus M80

I have one. It's 4 MP20s in a rack--MP20 is stereo ;). Power supply is external. Like the MP20, opamps can be easily swapped. I use it when I need more than 2 channels, which isn't often. In theory, it's also my mobile rack pre, but I haven't done mobile stuff in a while.

I believe it's discontinued now.

It's a firecracker. :D :D :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Had to be said.

Seriously, I know zip about it.

How would you describe the M80's performance compared to the M-Audio Tampa and DMP3?

Heck I dunno, I use a few bits of gear, not everything on the market. I don't get too excited about IC preamps. They work. Maybe I would get excited about a discrete pre, if somebody gave me one :D But if the designers have done their job, IC pres shouldn't suck. The M80 doesn't suck, unless you feel saucy one day and turn the IDSS control (don't ask) past zero.

Isn't the Tampa a channel strip? Kinda apples and oranges there.

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to stick with the DMP3 and Tampa.
To be perfectly honest, I like the results I'm getting with these and also like the fact that they sound different to each other.

I got tempted by "Jensen Transformer" and "costs £1200 new" in the ad.

I could sell my dmp3 for around £50-£100 and the Tampa for around £150.
The Presonus M80 was £200.

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to stick with the DMP3 and Tampa.
To be perfectly honest, I like the results I'm getting with these and also like the fact that they sound different to each other.

I got tempted by "Jensen Transformer" and "costs £1200 new" in the ad.

I could sell my dmp3 for around £50-£100 and the Tampa for around £150.
The Presonus M80 was £200.

Well, if you need lots more pres, that is a really good deal.

It's the one with the Jensen transformer.

If you can get eight channels, all with Jensens, for roughly the same price as four channels of the M-audio's ... then I would definitely consider it. Unless, of course, you can't do without the added bells/whistles on the Tampa. Like MS mentions, as long as it works :D then that would be a really good deal.

At the moment I don't need more than the 3 channels I'm getting with the Tampa and DMP3. In a few years time I may do but that's not certain!
I was curious about getting the M80 IF the sound quality was going to be a noticeable improvement over my Tampa and DMP3?
I don't use the compressor on the Tampa but like the fact that I can get different sounds from it. I also really like the DMP3 because of it's particular sound.
Would getting the M80 be a justifiable purchase?

Different? Yes. Noticeably better? Dunno.

It would depend on a few things. Namely ...

> Your Definition of "noticeable."
> How observant and/or picky you are
> Your Definition of "improvement."
> Context (how it's all being used)

If you were to ever mic a whole drum kit ... then it would be a drastic and noticeable improvement on quite a few different levels. :D If you were to ever start adding a lot of old vintage dynamic mics and ribbons to your collection, then having all those nice transformers at the input would also be to your advantage.

IMO.... the presosnus is a much better piece... at one time i was considering using one and adding that 8 channel compressor they make.... would have made a great front end....

Back