Pre-amp noisy output Fuzz?

thecolorofdave

Hello,

I have a Golden Age Pre-73 mic preamp and I have this harsh SHHHHHHHHHH fuzz in the output, when I attempt to record to my PC, The input is picking up, but because of this noisy output, the vocal is very distorted and not very audible. Has anyone come across an issue like this before? Any suggestions on how I can fix this so my output line is clear again?

Cheers,

Dave

Update: Tried XLR cable for output, tonnes of static... then tried 1/4 cable for output.. less static, but still there and too noiey to track with.

i dont know, i recently had something like that happening and it was the pot for the output gain, adjusted it to different "spots" for volume, and the problem wasnt there....so bad pot.

Hello,

I have a Golden Age Pre-73 mic preamp and I have this harsh SHHHHHHHHHH fuzz in the output, when I attempt to record to my PC, The input is picking up, but because of this noisy output, the vocal is very distorted and not very audible. Has anyone come across an issue like this before? Any suggestions on how I can fix this so my output line is clear again?

Cheers,

Dave

What AI/soundcard are you feeding the pre amp into?
The G A 73 is designed to drive "pro" levels, i.e. several volts and much "prosumer" kit is designed for -10dBV signals.
Them, the 73 has a LOT of gain, 80dB so you might just be amping up noise that is perfectly normal.

Make a recording with all the preamp controls at zero. If that is still noisy I bet the interface has too much gain.

It would be very useful to plug the unit into the line input of almost any mixer and see what results on headphones?

Dave.

Back