Powered monitors remote switch

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
Just checking to see if anyone else does this and/or if it would cause problems in the future. I have a set of JBL powered monitors and it can be a pain in the ass to get to the back of them to turn them on. I have a furman rack power switch and was thinking of using that switch to turn them on and off with my other rack equipment. In other words, leave the monitors in the "on" position and just use the furman to turn on and off. Issues?

Only time I have heard issue is with power amps external to monitors and the power off before shutting down thing where you would get a loud !pop!.
Never had that with self powered monitors.

To be more accurate, my Furman supplies power to my audio monitors, interfaces, video monitors, and all other outboard analog gear. Never the computers. They are all on their own UPS unit and get shut down manually. Well, the office computer is on always. The recording PC I shut down when not in use.

I have two set ups in two different rooms. In the room I rarely use, everything turns on with the one switch.

In the room I use most of the time, nothing gets turned off. It's all on 24/7.

I have mentioned wireless mains switches a few times on HR, can you guys in $$land not get them?

I bought a set of 4 a few months ago. In addition to individual on/off there is a global "all on/off. I use mine for lights and another set for my domestic telly setup because some of the recorders need the occaisional "hard reset".

They have the other safety benefit that in the event of a power outage (V rare here) they default off.

I know folks have their reasons but leaving kit burning permanently is hardly helping Global Warming? Not doing your electrolytics much good either!

Dave.

Seeing as the internet, the facility that allows us to discuss these things, consumes 70 billion kilowatt hours a year, I don't think my leaving my gear on 24/7 instead of say 12/7 is going to make much of a difference.

Seeing as the internet, the facility that allows us to discuss these things, consumes 70 billion kilowatt hours a year, I don't think my leaving my gear on 24/7 instead of say 12/7 is going to make much of a difference.

WTGR Gecks, even if the whole of the UK went Carbon negative it would not do diddly because of the bloody US and China but we all have to do our bit. I get pissed off because people nowadays drive in perfect conditions and half of them have their fucking LIGHTS on! Anything from 25 to 110 watts being powered from a very inefficient heat engine.

Dave.

Earth: Warming it's own globe for 4.543 billion years.

What are a few humans going to cause worse than an earlier catastrophic event that killed off an entire world of life?

I bet the Earth will adapt, again. And hopefully so will humans...

Let's just not imagine if another asteroid asshole hits the Earth. We are then fucked. But the Earth will always adjust to new life.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers! :)

Earth: Warming it's own globe for 4.543 billion years.

What are a few humans going to cause worse than an earlier catastrophic event that killed off an entire world of life?

I bet the Earth will adapt, again. And hopefully so will humans...

Let's just not imagine if another asteroid asshole hits the Earth. We are then fucked. But the Earth will always adjust to new life.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers! :)

At my elevation and position in the country (google NN5 5PF) I have little to worry about, well nothing much anyway at 73. But maybe in just two decades much of London will be in the sea. That's ok because they are all rich fuckers and can look aftr themselves. Around the world there will be millions displaced and their movement will be resisted by those on higher ground. FFS we are short of habitable, food productive land NOW!

GW is the ultimate example of "I'm all right Jack". The evidence is clear. Maybe you don't hold people like David Attenbough in such high esteem as us Brits and most of the rest of the world but there can surely be few people more qualified to SEE the problems?

2016/17/18 has seen some of the worst weather disasters in living memory (strangely since a certain president came into office! Do you think "someone up there" is tryng to tell him something?) Now, those events cannot be absolutely connected to C02 and GW but it has to make any rational person think a bit.

I suspect the people in power know the dangers but have THEIR plans made. The poor sods that suffered most from Katrina still do not seem to have been helped a great deal?

Dave.

I too never turn anything off, and my failures are rare. I can live with the cost. I'm away from base for ten weeks, and my essential kit is flight cased and the power here goes off over night, so the computers and kit is powered down. It could be coincidence but one computer sometimes won't restart - some kit refuses to work properly and it's a real pain.

I too never turn anything off, and my failures are rare. I can live with the cost. I'm away from base for ten weeks, and my essential kit is flight cased and the power here goes off over night, so the computers and kit is powered down. It could be coincidence but one computer sometimes won't restart - some kit refuses to work properly and it's a real pain.

I don't want to be rude Rob but if "you can live with the cost", live with replacing kit as it fails (and complain loudly! Gear should NOT be bothered by a reasonable on/off cycle.)

Many people will HAVE to live with the cost of the obscene excessess of the (mostly) western world and have fuck all anyway and probably never will.

The situation is I fear pretty hopeless because the "fix" means that a lot of people WITH a "lot" will have to get by with a lot less. "They" know this and "they" do not want to have to face the harsh facts of surviving on just a million or so a year.

Dave.

Trouble is Dave, in my own experience - the killer seems to be when kit IS powered up after being off for a while. No idea if it's heat related, or current surge issues, or perhaps even the actual board or internal temperature - but it does seem that permanent power is a positive thing. I run a venue where they still have the first generation of Thyristor dimmers, installed in the late 60s. The boards are fragile, and some of the components difficult to source. Up until 8 years ago, they were switched off for the winter, and every power up reduced dimmer numbers by one or two. Then one year I forgot to power them down and they were on all winter. Since then I have lots just two more. In my studio this year I lost a Roland 1080 and a M-Audio 8x8 MIDI interface that were powered down for just two weeks while an electrical problem was fixed. Both refused to restart when power was reapplied. For me this is enough evidence to convince me 24/7 operation is better. I try to be green if I can, but in this case, I'll go with the energy usage. I do understand other people's viewpoints on this - but my need and my solution I'm comfy with.

It is quite common for many pieces of machinery to fail ro start or even fail completely if left cold and unloved for a good while.

Pianos soon go out of tune and felts drop off. Cars of course should never be just "banged on" if left for months. But we don't usually solve these issues by the brute force method of keeping them hot or running all the time. One solution is a timer, set it for a 20 minute "burn" once a day or, with a digital one, once a month?

We have to be prepared to put up with extra inconveniences and costs, much easier to just dump everything in one landfill bin but most of us now take the time to sort our rubbish.

And I am sorry but, some Tlamp kit and some computers? Not life threatening technology is it?

Dave.

Trouble is Dave, in my own experience - the killer seems to be when kit IS powered up after being off for a while. No idea if it's heat related, or current surge issues, or perhaps even the actual board or internal temperature - but it does seem that permanent power is a positive thing. I run a venue where they still have the first generation of Thyristor dimmers, installed in the late 60s. The boards are fragile, and some of the components difficult to source. Up until 8 years ago, they were switched off for the winter, and every power up reduced dimmer numbers by one or two. Then one year I forgot to power them down and they were on all winter. Since then I have lots just two more. In my studio this year I lost a Roland 1080 and a M-Audio 8x8 MIDI interface that were powered down for just two weeks while an electrical problem was fixed. Both refused to restart when power was reapplied. For me this is enough evidence to convince me 24/7 operation is better. I try to be green if I can, but in this case, I'll go with the energy usage. I do understand other people's viewpoints on this - but my need and my solution I'm comfy with.

So wait. Explain. You shut down digital or analog gear and it would not fire up again?

That does not make sense to me. A sitting automobile without gaskets, rubber, oil needing parts being lubricated deteriorating makes sense. A computer though? They like being cold. As cold a possible...

Absolutely - yes. Although very early on the only real problem/annoyance was mentioned. Sometimes powering up remotely makes things go click - loudly or quietly. Silently is nice, but the volume of the click can annoy. Try it and see. If it works for you - go for it. I'm just lazy and don't do it.

Back