power supplies

axeman_ukl

are there any benifits to using a rack power supply to power my rack equipment ?(would it cut down on electrical noise emitted ) or is it just as good to use a surge plug and cable ties.

thanking anybody in advance for any help.

axeman_ukl said:
are there any benifits to using a rack power supply to power my rack equipment ?(would it cut down on electrical noise emitted ) or is it just as good to use a surge plug and cable ties.

thanking anybody in advance for any help.

Good question......and it can get more complex than some would realise.

Ground loops and cycle hum could be dicussed here, and how they can ruin a good recording. We could discuss equipment safety from surge.
There are also issues of your own persoanl safety, but that's taking it to the 'enth' degree.

I just went out and bought the vey cheap Eurolight from B-B-B-B-Behringer.
Sure it's got a pretty-rotating-fancy-like switchable 'bar' light, but more importantly, it takes one mains input and gives 8 mains outputs with an 8 amp overload circuit breaker and one 'master' mains switch.
Since using, I can no longer detect any more of that crappy 50-60hz noise in my gear.....(I was using too many powerpoints on seperate circuits, apparantly creating problems for me).
Anyways.....it cost me like $70 AUS, and everything even looks a little neater!
Looks 'pretty' too. (I slap at that shit).
Hope that was helpful...
Kindest Regards,
Superspit.

axeman_ukl said:

It depends on what you buy. If you buy one that is a true power conditioner then it can actually give you a lower noise floor. Most of the cheap power splitters are just glorified surge protectors.

it's really just a glorified surgesupreesor for the most part... akthough it can help if you've got shit plugged in all over the place and it manages to consolidate your grounds... the best thing for most would be to get a ups system... i'm usuing a tripplite... all the other advantages plus better surge protection in alotta cases and you can put say your puter monitor(and in my case controller) on the uninterupted side so ive got time to save in the event of an outage...

dementedchord said:
it's really just a glorified surgesupreesor for the most part... akthough it can help if you've got shit plugged in all over the place and it manages to consolidate your grounds... the best thing for most would be to get a ups system... i'm usuing a tripplite... all the other advantages plus better surge protection in alotta cases and you can put say your puter monitor(and in my case controller) on the uninterupted side so ive got time to save in the event of an outage...

I would love/need a UPS.....just so damn expensive but!!
I may end up getting the smallest unit possible, just enough to save my work in an outage....which happens too much in and around my area, (coincidentally, many young drivers appear to die aswell). :confused: :(
Still....one day.

Back