Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Power Conditioner - Inverter - Temporary Power Supply

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a couple of APC Smart UPS750s, (one is a rack mount, the other floor standing). One is on my entertainment system so that the cable box and TV doesn't go bonkers on a power flicker, the other is on my computer system downstairs with my audio interface for recording.

Each takes 2 x 12v gel cell batteries. I just replaced the ones downstairs with new 12V 9Ah batteries last week. They usually last about 3 years or so. They give me at least 20 minutes of run time on the computer and monitor which is plenty of time to shut things down. I have a smaller unit on the computer upstairs that's good for 10 or 15 minutes. I also have a unit that keeps my internet modem, phone modem and router/backup drive running.

If you have brief but random outages, they are the best things to have. They also condition the power, so you don't have to worry about spikes and noise.

Thanks
    Thanx Keith!

Thanks
    Hi again Keith

So yes I'll definitely be needing temporary emergency power as you indicated enuf to shut equipment down property during an outage.

APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500MS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (Sinewave) = $229 B&H (can't post the link properly)?

After some research (with the power outages here) I definitely need a UPS (temporary power supply) not just a 'power conditioner' for the desktops and 6-8 externals

This one is rated at (900 amp capacity) with 6 outlets. The rack mounted versions are all double or triple the price so I'll stick to these...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII Historian View Post
    Hi again Keith

So yes I'll definitely be needing temporary emergency power as you indicated enuf to shut equipment down property during an outage.

APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500MS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (Sinewave) = $229 B&H (can't post the link properly)?

After some research (with the power outages here) I definitely need a UPS (temporary power supply) not just a 'power conditioner' for the desktops and 6-8 externals

This one is rated at (900 amp capacity) with 6 outlets. The rack mounted versions are all double or triple the price so I'll stick to these...
    It's obvious to most folks, but I wasn't thinking straight when I hooked mine up the first time, so apologies for stating the obvious, but don't plug the UPS into the [Carvin] power conditioner, because it will shut off and not come back on, so the UPS will stay up supplying power from its battery even if the power comes right back on. I did that, but luckily was around when the power went out and so went upstairs to see why the alarm was still going off even though power was back on.

You can plug the conditioner into the UPS if it has surge-only outlets and they're rated high enough for what you'll have connected to the conditioner. The conditioner is also providing surge protection for the outlets it has, so this is really redundant, I suppose. And, I have whole house surge protectors which I have decided to trust and so just have the conditioner and UPS plugged in separately.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information