Patch Bay-sics...Sanity Check

Yes, you can mix both balanced and unbalanced gear, but...

Now that I think about, what I said was wrong. Here's the right way:

To connect an unbalaced output to a balanced input, simply solder the "hot" from the 1/4" or RCA (phono) to the "hot" which is pin2 (XLR) or Tip (TRS) and connect the ground from the 1/4" or RCA (phono) to the "cold" which is pin3 (XLR) or Ring (TRS) and solder the "cold" which is pin3 (XLR) or Ring (TRS) and the ground which is pin1 (XLR) or Sleeve (TRS) together.

To connect a balanced output to an unbalanced input, it is even more complicated.

If it's an balanced output, "connect pin2 to the inbalanced input, and pin 1 to ground, leaving pin 3 floating. If this doesn't work, connect pin3 of the output to pin1 and ground and leave pin 2 connected to the unbalanced input center pin." As a general rule though, don't use this technique for microphones. Use a differential stage or transformer.

Okay, I've installed rack rails into the computer type desk that I use for my recording gear and it looks really..... uh, functional.
Anyway, once I got all my toys mounted, it didn't take me long to figure out that I needed a patch bay. So, I went down and bought one. After more deliberation than there probably should have been, I bought a Neutrik with a bunch of obsurdly expensive cables.
All of these patch points are, of course, balanced TRS type jacks. However, not all of my equipment is balanced.
I know better than to attach unbalanced stuff to balanced stuff, but it seems to me that I should be able to use these patches for either one, as long as I don't mix the two. Am I missing something, or is this correct ?

Usually OK to use TRS to connect unbalanced gear. If you have manuals, check em. Be aware that any "Insert" jack will open the circuit, so be sure if you connect inserts to the patch bay, that you use an insert (send/return) cable and normal those points.

To connect unbalance equipment and balanced equipment, simply solder the ground from the 1/4" or RCA (phono) to pin1 (XLR) or Sleeve (TRS) and connect the "hot" from the 1/4" or RCA (phono) to "hot" which is pin2 (XLR) or Tip (TRS) and solder the "hot" pin2 (XLR) or Tip (TRS) and the "cold" pin3 (XLR) or Ring (TRS) together.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Thanks Larry. I figured that was the case. I just thought I'd check and see if I was forgetting something. I'd hate to smoke my new rack.

Recording Engineer,
If I understand this, you're saying that I CAN mix balanced and unbalanced gear if I make a cable that (short version) that connects the ground from both ends (sleeves, and/or pin1) and the two signal conductors (tip and ring or pin2 and pin3) to the tip on the unbalanced side?
If that's what you're saying, I'm going to have a lot more flexibility than I thought.

Back