parallel effects loops

cellardweller

Some time ago I began experimenting with various effects in the parallel effects loop of my Single Rectumfrier.

Other than creating a feedback loop that could kill or paralyze small animals and children, I've found very little practical use for my various boxes.

Today I found the explanation to this lovely phenomenon which renders my lovely little boxes useless...

Chris McKinley @ said:
Because all digital effects have a slight lag while processing the signal from analog to digital. When that digitized signal is heard in parallel with the unaffected tone of the parallel effects loop, the unaffected tone has no lag. This creates a phase modulation noise like whining or pulsing that renders the effect unuseable.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19890&highlight=modulation+effects

Yea that can suck. Thats why you should treat your loop similar to a "send" on the mixing board for time based effects. Meaning have your effects set to 100% wet and use the main signal for your tone.

I only like delay through the loop on my head. (100% wet) But, its too much of a hassle for me just to run the delay through it so I don't bother. Two cables running to the amp at a show (or even practice) is enough.

Back