Outboard Analog EQ - Suggestions?

pundit

I'm looking to purchase a decent two channel outboard eq without spending a fortune. I'm NOT interested in a box that includes pres and dynamics etc... just eq.

It's main use will be eq'ing MS recordings of acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments... mainly in a corrective (ie. cutting) role.

I've got a Neve 3115 module which is nice for generally coloring the sound but is rather limited in it's coverage and not surgical at all... and the plugin stuff, Waves etc. while good for what it is, doesn't do it for me. My main console is a rather ancient Sound Workshop Series 40 with three band semi-parametric and NO shelving!! (sucks big time!!) In reality the desk is mainly used for monitoring as nearly everything goes through other gear direct to hard disc.

Most of the opamp 'state variable filter' stuff is too obnoxious to my ears and, while this is mainly due to the effects of phasing, I'm looking for something that is a combination of sweetness AND precision without entering the stratosphere pricewise. (well one can always live in hope! ;) )

Hmmm, do I hear a RNEQ ('Really Nice EQ) on the horizon?? ;)

I built a four channel fully parametric eq about ten years back based on the Elektor design. Maybe I should upgrade the opamps and caps and give it another go?

In the meantime any suggestions out there?

Cheers

DIY Calrec PQ1549..

Hi Pundit,

If you're able to do a little soldering yourself, I would very much recommend the DIY Calrec PQ1549:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/gy_pd.htm

It is the eq section from the famous Calrec "Polar" desk, and undoubtedly my favorite solid-state EQ's.

All needed information is available at the site, including schematics, explanation and PCB layouts.

At recording.org / tech talk there is quite a few people that has actually built this, if you need to ask questions:
http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

And by the way, don't fear the state-variable eq's. Some very good eq's has been based on this principle, including stuff like FocusRite Isa and this Calrec. The trick is simply to design properly, and use components in their proper range.

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

OK I checked the Mercenary Link and I have a gripe.

You see the nice equipment and a button that says GIMMIE wich means GIVE ME to me....so I click the GIVE ME options and they want money!

I clicked on GIMMIE not PAYUP...

What's up with that?:confused:

:D

Re: DIY Calrec PQ1549..

gyraf said:
Hi Pundit,

If you're able to do a little soldering yourself, I would very much recommend the DIY Calrec PQ1549:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/gy_pd.htm

It is the eq section from the famous Calrec "Polar" desk, and undoubtedly my favorite solid-state EQ's.

All needed information is available at the site, including schematics, explanation and PCB layouts.

At recording.org / tech talk there is quite a few people that has actually built this, if you need to ask questions:
http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

And by the way, don't fear the state-variable eq's. Some very good eq's has been based on this principle, including stuff like FocusRite Isa and this Calrec. The trick is simply to design properly, and use components in their proper range.

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

Thanks Jakob! :)

BTW I still owe you guys schematics for the RME opto limiter I posted the thread on about two weeks ago at recording.org (under my other name) ;)

Still trying to find where I put the manual.

Cheers

The TASCAM PE-40 is great, when you can find it,...

and being a relatively hard to find item, it's currently bidding at ~$125, used/Ebay sale, [not available new].

The PE-40's a nice 4-band/4-channel parametric EQ, rackmount...

... nice, that is when you can find 'em.

Re: The TASCAM PE-40 is great, when you can find it,...

A Reel Person said:
and being a relatively hard to find item, it's currently bidding at ~$125, used/Ebay sale, [not available new].

The PE-40's a nice 4-band/4-channel parametric EQ, rackmount...

... nice, that is when you can find 'em.

Someone on this forum was bidding for a PE-40 about three weeks ago... think they missed out though.

Comprehensive in the tweaking department but would definately benefit from an opamp upgrade.

Cheers

Yeah lot of that comes across pretty well
just look out for bandwidth and transient response
Some of the avalon EQ goes down pretty well
I'm thinking of picking up a Sebatron VEQC_2000 stereo valve EQ and compressor.Apparently it's all the rave down here.I'll probably get it later this week ,i'll let ya know how i go.Thanx Steve

Back