OK, how about solid state?

Jblount said:
What is a good solid state mic preamp? Sudgestions for something under $200.00?

Hi

You can make a passibly good mic pre out of a 5534 IC, a 10K pot and a few resistors + capacitors, and a pair of 9 volt batteries.

Most bits (other than the 5534) available from Radio Shack!

:)

Geoff Tanner
www.auroraaudio.net

Rane MS-1b (single channel, so you'd need two), a bit over $200 for two channels I think unless you get them used.

The Joe Meek VC3Q is also a chip based pre.
Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that.:)
It also has a compressor and EQ section.

J., there's a planned revamping of the Joe Meek line coming up.

Your microphone selection can make a big difference though.
What microphone(s) do you plan to use?

Chris

darrin_h2000 said:
Hello, those are both Chip pres, not solid state. I think the Meek vcq3 is solid state.

Hi

Solid state is a word from the 60's that implied that (for instance) the latest "high tech" Sony portable radio had transistors in it rather than tubes.

I've never really thought of the term in any other rationale than tubes versus semi-conductor technology.

IC's are just a bunch of transistors in an epoxy block and you can get great sounding audio out of well designed IC circuits as well as sucky performance out of poorly designed tube and transistor circuits. A box with a well designed SSM IC based pre shouldn't sound sucky!

I would not discount the technology inside the box without listening to it first... there's plenty of major hit records made on consoles full of IC's and computer sound cards and digital converters are full of the darn things.

:)

Geoff
www.auroraaudio.net

In that price range, I second the DMP3. It's the best value in budget pres out there, IMHO. Beats my Joe Meek MQ3 hands down on most sources.

The DMP3 is probably the no-brainer choice here for your budget. I'm kind of "Mr. Cheap Preamp" at this stage in my project studio. I have used the Art Tube MP, Mackie 1202's and Mackie VLZ pres, Behringer VX 2000, the Meek MQ3 and the DMP3. I also built a PAIA Tube mic pre once.

You probably aren't going to hear giant differences between these budget preamps, but my subjective ear tells me the DMP3 is the cleanest and most transparent of the bunch. Two clean channels of pre with phantom power and 75 Hz low cut for under two bills. The only other thing I can think of is the Studio Projects pre (cant recall the actual name--VTB-1?), which some really like. I've never used it so I can't say.

The DMP3, is that rack mount size. Is it dual tech? Can I choose between solid and the tube function on it? Some more detail would be great.

Jblount said:
The DMP3, is that rack mount size. Is it dual tech? Can I choose between solid and the tube function on it? Some more detail would be great.

The DMP3 is a little less than 1/2 rack size but you can get an empty rack tray which is 1U and put a couple of them on that.

If you push the unit a bit you can get a slightly warm sound but there is no tube switch.

Do a search on the DMP3 here and you will find enough reading material to fill a couple of evenings.

Jblount said:
Cool, I am doing research on the dmp3. No switch, that is the only draw back.
If you're talking about not being able to switch to "toob" mode. That's no drawback.

TOOB SUX!

regebro said:
No, because you can be solid state without being chip. ;)
Despite your wink, I'll assume that your comment was semi-serious...

"Solid-state" is a reference to the use of the electronic properties of solids to replace those of valves (e.g., semiconductors). The overwhelming preponderance of non-valve electronics are made of silicon. Arguably, in general usage, the term has come to be synonymous with silicon. Since silicon is the current semiconductor of choice for audio devices that we're likely to see, the term "solid-state" applies to any product containing non-valve, silicon-based devices. Got a diode (i.e., discrete semiconductor)? It's solid-state. Got a Pentium 4 (i.e., "chip" or integrated-circuit)? It's solid state...

I will clarify:

A car and a vehicle is not the same thing, because a vehicle is not neccesarily a car.

regebro said:
I will clarify:

A car and a vehicle is not the same thing, because a vehicle is not neccesarily a car.
No need to clarify. What you said is certainly true, but the confusing point of your post was that nobody had, up until your post, mixed up the meaning. So, if you're comment was meant only as comic relief, then fine (hence my opening sentence). But I found both TexRoadKill and Geoff_T's comments spot on...

Back