Official Premature Group buy Preamp Mod Thread.

redddog

Ok. Like the title indicates. This is very premature having not even heard the pres.

But I like to operate on common sense first and be surprised. Common sense would indicate that these pres could be great, could be pretty good or could be average. Obviously we are all hoping for the best and by the amount of these pres flying off the shelves, hope is indeed alive here. And I have to disclose that I am extremely excited about these.

My question is this:

Just for the sake of argument, say these pres weren't ready to unseat ruperts timeless designs as the greatest pres of all time and they fall just a bit short. What would the be the most cost effective mods that we should be considering to close the gap? The argument against these types of budget pres is that the components used just aren't of a high enough quality to compete with the big boys.

So what would we have to swap out to get these mofos into the "elite" camp?

I know the trannies would be the first mentioned but which ones? I know Carnhill but which one. (I'm talking serial numbers).

Have at it boys.

Not just the trafos, but all the inductors. Look for threads about Neve clones on Prodigy Pro, there are some links there somewhere to the inductors used. These are multitap inductors as I recall, so you'll have to hope the group buy pre PCBs match the pinouts and form factors of the Carnhills. Elsewise you might need to pick up a clone PCB and just gut the group buy pre for its knobs and case . . .

. . . that is, presuming it's really necessary to replace all those components, but this is your premature mod thread, not mine ;)

Back