Odd request

bassist

I'm looking for something very specific, but considering I'm not even sure if it EXISTS, I'm having a hard time with my search.

Basically - what I'm looking for is a programmable guitar synth, similar to any existing midi controller (Roland GR-20 for example), only you can upload your own samples to it and it is not limited to midi.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or perhaps something relatively close?

Are you looking for a synth or a controller? "not limited to midi", what else might you want to use?

Not a controller - an instrument is the controller. Not limited to midi referring to being able to use other formats such as wav, for example.

(forgive me, I'm obviously not very educated on the topic)

Basically, what I'm looking for is something that I can send an instrument signal to, and the audio from it will be replaced by a patch that can have its pitch shifted. This description pretty much exactly fits any existing guitar synth out there (the first few seconds of this video are a good example), only I'm looking to be able to use my own sounds rather than a predetermined set of midi sounds - this is where uploading my own samples and not being limited to midi comes in. Actually, midi would even be usable if I could use my own soundfonts.

40 seconds into the video it mentions that you can use the gr-20 to send midi to a keyboard which means you could do the same with a sampler so you could load your own sounds into a sampler and have the gr-20 controlling it via midi.

If i was going to use it i'd probably load the samples i wanted to use into a sampler in Propellerhead Reason since i already own and use that program, and get a gr-20 to send the midi data.

Along the same lines there are a few guitar manufacturers that have 13 pin midi outputs from their guitars (Brian Moore is the first that pops into mind, but that's probably because i'm a fan) along with a 1/4" out so you could have your guitar sound going at the same time as your sample sounds and blend them or go back and forth between the two.

Back