Is it O.K. to plug and unplug MIDI cables while power is on?

That's a really good question, and in a scientific sense I really can't say what happens electrically when a midi cable is plugged or unplugged while the power is on. However, I can say that I've been doing it for years and years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. So my answer would be that you can indeed plug midi cables in and out while the power is on.

Right on. That's almost better than the scientific. Thanks for the info. What kind of things have you plugged/unplugged into? Keyboards, USB input devices, etc?

It won't cause any damage but depending on what type of communication you are doing some devices need the midi cables hooked up when they power on so they can "see" what is on the other end.

That's a really good question, and in a scientific sense I really can't say what happens electrically when a midi cable is plugged or unplugged while the power is on.
all the data is optically coupled with an opto coupler at the recieving end. there is no transfer in actual energy except for a 5v supply and a grounding rail. only three of the five pins in the midi cable are used. i've never had problems with disconnecting midi cables from activated units.

Back