Noobish question

jamesduysen

Hey everyone,

I just got a Daking Mic Pre One to upgrade one of the pres on my ProjectMix I/O.

My first question is: The Daking has a balanced XLR line output and a balanced 1/4" line output. I have a TRS to TRS cable, would there be a noticeable difference if I used a female XLR to TRS cable instead?
I ask this because the manual says nothing about using TRS to TRS and only says female XLR to TRS to connect to the interface, but there is a 1/4" line out. So I am confused.:confused:

Second question: If I use one of the line ins on the ProjectMix to connect the Daking (as opposed to getting an A/D converter) will it defeat the purpose of an expensive outboard pre? I ask this because I have heard that the PM's line ins may color the signal.

Thanks,

-jD

would there be a noticeable difference if I used a female XLR to TRS cable instead?
Nope, none what-so-ever (well, the connector would be different)

If I use one of the line ins on the ProjectMix to connect the Daking (as opposed to getting an A/D converter) will it defeat the purpose of an expensive outboard pre? I ask this because I have heard that the PM's line ins may color the signal.
I'm not familiar with the circuitry, but unless you need to record multiple tracks avoid the desk and go right into the box whenever possible. Some line-ins (in fact most on budget mixers) are actually attenuated inputs to the preamp circuit...

Not only that but the connection may be a duel XLR/TRS connection.

Look at it really carefully and closely.

Dont be confused by plugs.

Electricity is ALL the same: a positive wire, a negative wire and (usually) a shield wrapped around them to keep interference down.

XLR and TRS use the same three things.... the shape of the plug don't enter into it!

Back