noise suppressor

Fire Dome

a bassist fried of mine is looking to get rid of hiss in his set up by buying a rack mounted noise suppressor. I just want to know if this is the best way to get rid of hiss or should he look at other ways of doing it.

Here is his current set up

Tanglewood rebel 5k bass
into a zoom 607 bass effects pedal
into a laney pa head
powering a nameless 15" bass speaker
all these are connected by planet waves cables

sorry for the lack of specific info about the gear but that is all i can remember

Cheers

DAve

P.s. if the noise suppresor is the best way to go can you name some specific products and the price. ( please bear in mind that i am in britain and some products may not be available here)

Zoom stuff is, in my experience, noisey junk. The best way to get rid of the hiss is to isolate the cause of it and fix or replace that piece of gear. If that isn't going to happen, a noise suppressor is the way to go.
Remember to weigh the cost of the suppressor against replacing the offending gear. No point throwing good money after bad.

big kenny- he does have some noise with the zoom out of the loop however there is still a large level of hiss which makes the cab unusable for recording.

Farview-I agree the zoom is a crap effects pedal and it does create alot of noise. He was looking at a behringer v-amp (bass version) with the two expression footboard but seeing as this is a little out of his budget he seems intent on buying a noise suppressor. If i did go down the suppressor which product would you recommend?

Cheers

Dave

What Farview said. Hiss from a driver that rolls off at 2K is a bit of noise!
Are you sure that all the gain staging issues have been minimized?
Wayne

this is going to sound really stupid but mixsit I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you explain it some more so i can investigate wether that could be the cause

Dave

Gain staging is setting the volume of each piece (or stage) of equipment in a series so that you get the optimal tone or volume or squash or whatever. You may have the wrong piece turned up to get the volume you need thus increasing noise AND volume. For less noise you want the master amp, the head in this case, to provide the volume. Once the volume is established, the effects can be applied. Sometimes, depending on your dersired outcome, you want more out of other parts of the chain. Anyway, that's gain staging and the rest is another story

You are using a PA head for an amp, have you tried just plugging right into it? Most Bass heads are just clean power with some eq. Most PA heads are just clean power with some eq. Personally, I would sell the zoom and use the money (and the money that would have been spent on the supressor) toward a sansamp bass driver. Or just plug right into the PA head.

Back