Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Next Step

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    You're definitely getting your money's worth out of the Waves L1

Yeah man, freeze some of those puppies. You can always unfreeze them and tweak. Freezing a track just "prints" the audio along with all of the effects. Then you're just playing the audio and not doing all of the real-time signal processing. It sounds identical to the original, and it'll take a huge load off of your CPU.

Thanks
    totally agree with tadpui - your CPU is hovering above 50% at idle (I assume you took the screenshot when it wasn't playing) -- you're using the same plugins consistently, like L1, so the load is probably spread fairly evenly across the tracks, but if you freeze a track and then see that idle CPU load drop noticeably, then probably a plugin on that track is chewing up the CPU.

By the same token, if you were to switch to outboard, (say to replace H comp or something), you'd probably have to loop out on a ton of tracks before you could hope to put a dent in the CPU load, and that would require a whole lot of inputs and outputs (and outboard compressors, for my example - those add up quick cost-wise) -- but because the CPU is managing the buffers on all that I/O, having that many round trips might even use more CPU than what you're doing now (just speculating).

Thread Information