New Stuff!

a_goodlett

ok listen up all you recording genius cats out there. i'm just startin out, and i want to get some recording gear, nothin like real expensive but nothin real cheap. just some decent stuff ok? so umm...what do i need to get? i take it i'm gonna need an a mixer and i'm lost from there. like what do mic pre-amps & Direct Boxes & stuff like that. i can get a dbx 165 compressor that my friend has but what do i do with it? what are some decent 8-track mixers? if it matters at all the music i like and would like to try and sound like is stuff like Cream, led zeppelin, jimmy hendrix of course, ya know classic rock stuff. i know its a pretty big question but to whoever replies THANKS!

Hi...

It's not easy to know what you need when you don't say WHAT you're going to record. Is it your band, or just yourself at home?

Please post what you'll be recording, and you'll get answers. :)

ya know that makes a hell of a lot of sense!

ok its mostly gonna be me messin around with some ideas on an elec guitar but when the band comes over i gotta have all that stuff too. so when the band comes over its gonna be 1-2 people on vocal, 2 guitars, bass, drums. anything else you need to know?

At a minimum you need a multi track recording unit, some type of monitor system, some type of "mixdown" unit.

Depending on how "professional" you want the recordings to sound you may then want an effects unit (reverb, delay, etc) and
a processor (compression).

Naturally mics are needed for vocals and to mic the guitar cabs. You can get by with dynamic mics, (like SM57's) but at some point you may want one decent condensor mic.

There are a couple of key questiona you must ask yourself.

1) Do you want to record to computer, to a stand alone digital recorder, or to some analog media - this will help establish a budget.

2) What is the maximum number of tracks you think you would record at one time (will you record the band live vs. overdubs) - this will determine how many recording "ins and outs" you need.

After you have a better idea of what you want you can zero in a little better on what's out there.

Given the limited info you've provided, it sounds like and 8 track digital recorder (many have built in effects) may be the easiest way to go.

Back