New DBX mini mic pre???

little z

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the new mini tube mp from DBX...... And how does it compare to the ART tube mp, as I have used neither of them, really would like to know from a users standpoint how it works out!!! Both retail at about $100 U.S. currency... Thanks again!!! Steve :rolleyes:

I have a comparison chart between the Mini Pre and the MP in .pdf format. If you would like the chart let me know and I'll e-mail it to you offline.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

I sent it.

I sent it to your address. I thought it was a .pdf, it is actually a Word Doc. If you have trouble opening it let me know and I'll just copy into an e-mail.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

I was wondering the same thing !
I don't think it would be unethical to just post the info here, as long as it is a straight comparison of published specs.

But if you prefer to keep it private, please send me a copy at The_Axis_@hotmail.com

Thanks, Tom

Rick

Littlez,
I bought one about 2 weeks ago.
Sounds great,I'm recording acoustic guitar through a large diaphram mic,and the sound is very clean.

Best $99 bucks I ever spent.
Pete

Alrighty!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, I am glad to know that someone knows a bit about this new unit, and even better someone has purchased it and has had a good experience with it!!!! I will definitely keep it in mind while considering a good mic preamp!!!!! Steve :D

I'm looking at these two pre's (as are a lot of folks here, I presume, because of the price). I have a behringer mixer that I'm happy with (price vs. performance). The only real negative I've experienced with the Behringer pre's is that when I turn up the gain they are very harsh and noisy. This is not a problem close-micing (guitar, vocals, AT4033, Marshall 603) but as the mic-source distance increases it becomes noticeable. I don't expect Avalon quality for $100, but I would like to know if $100 will give me the improvement that I need.

Muzeman - how do you mic that guitar? Do you back the mic 3-6 feet away? Does the pre sound like a train going by when you crank uo the gain?

Tom - can you comment, or will the spec's speak for themselves? I'll take a copy, if you'll be so kind.

Anyone else with any info, I' be very grateful.

I want one NOW! I called Guitar Satan here and they have it listed in their inventory but don't have them in stock yet....................long live dbx!

Bob

Chesterfield,
I mic the guitar from about 16 inches,pointed at the 12th fret.
The input and output on the DBX at about 3/4.

Keep in mind I'm using a Blue Dragonfly mic and Monster studio pro cables,I'm sure this is helping.

So far I really like the sound,only had it about 3 weeks so I havn't really put it through the paces.
I was expecting to return it,but the sound quality really suprised me.Well made too.

My suggestion is buy it somewhere you can return it if you don't like it.

Hope this helps,
Pete

Hey Tom,

Why did DBX copy the ART Tube MP look. I would like to get a look on the inside of it, but from the outside, it is almost an exact ringer...that surprised me a bit.

I have a copy of an ART Tube MP sent to me from a Chinese Company, but I am not interested in doing it. I can sell it for $59.00, but see no reason as it is a copy of the MP and since Phil is a friend of mine, I just could not do that to him. Besides, our VT-1 will be out in a couple of months anyway.

I was just wondering why DBX chose to take the same shape.

regards,

Alan Hyatt

I can't answer that,

Alan, I'm just a lowly Tech Support guy, I don't know the answer to that one. I can refer you to the Marketing Dept., maybe they can answer your question.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

alanhyatt said:
Why did DBX copy the ART Tube MP look. I would like to get a look on the inside of it, but from the outside, it is almost an exact ringer...that surprised me a bit.

IMHO, they recognized the success of the ART and wanted to represent it as a viable alternative.

E.g., look at all the products copying the style of the POD.

BBB,

I hear what your saying, but...with all the creative artistic design guys out there, you would think it better to be different, otherwise why not just buy the ART.

No disrespect to DBX, as I have a healthy respect for the company, but I was expecting something different. :D

man.... what a copy cat.. I mean geeze, it's not like most gear is 1.5 inches high and 19" long or anything.. :rolleyes:

hmm... It's just another standard, it's a table top unit.. oh, the knobs are in the same place? hmm.. well isn't that where you'd want them? the Jacks are on the back.... suspicios! :D

There's that Bellari Unit that's the same way.. I think there's one that the tube sticks up.... that's kinda cool but um... I'm afraid I'd crush it. They could have made some great deviation. Or maybe made a half rack design.. but then that would be another story.. lol

-jhe

Back