Need recommendations on a drum mixer

tmix

I am tired of using my stand alone pres for micing up a drum kit so I am contemplating getting a 8 to 12 channel mixer with at least 4 sub groups ( or some direct outs) to mic up a kit and sub group the toms to a stereo track while allowing some options on kick and snare.

Are there any older( tascam- fostex, etc) or current mixers under $600 - $1000 or so that are up to the task for the high transients of a drum kit?
Right now I am using several RNPs and DMP3s ( 8 - 10 channels worth) so I'd like something at least that quality. I dont often EQ ahead of time or compress for that matter, but I want good sound. I have a Mackie VLZ pro 1604 but to be honest, Ive never been really thrilled with the sound of the Mackie pres on it... Kinda flat and shallow sounding compared to the RNPs.

Thanks for your input!

Tom

i second the recommendation for the onyx board but let me also pose this idea:

why not use your existing pres as a front end for your vlz? just use your preamps run into the line inputs of the mackie and then you would just be using the board strictly for summing/EQ (in a pinch). cheap solution (youll just need lots of cables) and the truth is that this is going to be your most versatile and best sounding setup for any reasonable price without buying some serious shit.

on the other hand...

i dont know what converters you're using (assuming your computer based), but if they arent anything better than a firepod or a delta 1010, the onyx may be a better bet as ive heard nothing but good things and it has firewire interface capabilities, but you have to buy the interface card seperately (lame). the pres and EQ's on those things are supposed to be killer. i heard drums tracked through one once and it was pretty impressive (very true to life but punchy and with an authorative midrange - kind of API-esque to me).

it really depends on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish (all in one solution versus another piece in your arsenal). i think the preamp/VLZ thing would work very well for what you are trying to do though.

hope some of my babble inspired something lol.

~the kid

I'd second the Mackie Onyx. I have a 32-channel Yamaha MG32 that I paid a bit over a grand for (which I use for studio recording), and it has decent pre's, but if you are looking to spend about the same for something with far fewer channels, go for the Mackie, they sound very good, and have quality pre's em them for the price.

Yup. Onyx should be at the top of the list. I've liked it in every application I've heard it in. And the preamps are much better and not a sterile as the vlz's.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Having something like the onyx or allen and heath would be nice so that I can leave a permenent set up on the drums in the drum booth and then free up the other pres for the other 2 rooms.

In a pinch summing the atand alones through the Mackie would work so I dont have to edit 4 tom tracks seperately (I have a big kit).

I have a nice facility I am building, plus the convertors are decent, Lucid and Delta 1010s clocked to a Lucid Genx6.

What are folks thoughts on older mixers out there that might be a good deal?
Tascam / Yamaha / Fostex etc?

Back