need advice regarding studio effects proccessor (sp?)...

Stone431

I am interested in buying the S-200 from Digitech. Is this a good buy? Compared to the rp-7, is the sound quality equal or better? Are there major feature differences (beside the tube and distortion on rp-7)? Which should i go with?

Second, If i do go with the s-200, what distortion pedal should i use with it (as the s-200 doesnt have distortion unfortunately)? I am thinking about the Boss Metal Zone, because I want heavy distortion, used for mainly metal, stuff like Metallica. Thanks, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Well, not to discourage you from the digital route. I went through most of the digitech stuff, religiously upgrading year after year getting a new wonder box. Eventually, I found the best way to get any good electric sound is having a good amp to begin with. Many years ago I bought a Crate vintage club 50W tube head with 2 4x10 cabinets, I never replaced (aside from the fact I cant afford to :)) But I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the original amp that is going to dictate the sound, even with all the after processing. Then, with good amp, you can compliment it with some effects, usually the odd stomp box type stuff. That heavy metal sound can be accomplished with effects, but I find the result when using processing comes out too brittle and processed sounding.

Emeric

i would offer a different solution to this one. i have put a lot of guitars onto tape, and have played with lots of combinations of amps, pedals, mic setups, etc. i have never yet been able to beat the sound i can get on tape by using an old sholtz rockman. the reverb and eq are just what i need for both clean and distorted sounds, and the sustain/compression analogs in that little unit are unreal for the money. selection of a distortion unit are always subjective, but the rockman has always been my favorite. of course the real benefit to this is that you can go straight to tape with your guitar, and acheive a professional-quality sound.

I use to go through guitar pretty regularly, looking for a set up that sounds great and yet versatile. About five years ago I bought a Roland GP-100. I finally found a guitar processor that I REALLY liked. I am able to record direct from this unit, as it has amp & cabinet simulators and loaded with many great FX. The price of the GP-100 has come down since I bought mine. If that is still out of your price range, you may want to consider getting the Boss GX-700. It has similar technology.

Actually, I found that the Digitech 2101 [and now, I guess, the 2120] to be a very good and versital unit. Good distortion [tube or solid state] and good dealys. Not to mention that you can add any effect in any order, even use the same effect more than once in a chain. You should be able to find a 2101 for under $350 if you look. Ii wish I still had mine [lost it in a divorce settlement].

The digitech s200 is a good buy for the price. I believe this.
It cant be compared to some high end gear since it is not. Its great for a little home studio since it can do a lot including a compressor and Vocoder. Strictly for guitars, I think you can find a better unit but for a little studio, this is not a bad buy for the money.
p.s. Selling mine :) sardo@earthlink.net
I know this is not the sales dept but c'mon, the guy just asked about it...

I have the s200 in my home studio.
Its not a bad peice of gear as far as I can tell.
I really like the chorus sound it creates on drums.
I have a Behringer Virtualizer pro and I think the S200 beats the crap out my behringer.

I know this thread started sometime ago. I would imagine that Stone has made some kind of decision. but if I can through my two cents worth. I am just amazed with the POD from Line 6. In terms of giving amp-like performance of 27 different amps and variable cabinet choices it just can't be beat in an all in one unit. Its digital effects are definitely decent it it records very well. Only draw back, it does not have great editing capabilities for the digital effects.

I also have been very pleased with my ART 2000 Express. It has solid state and Tube preamp, some amount of cabinet simulation, though not called that. Where it excells is in the editing features and its superb digital effects. It also has a number of studio setups for vocals and drums so it is much more than a guitar processor. I am selling the Art for $350 (including the floor board)if someone is interested, though I certainly wont cry if I have to tell my wife no one wants to buy it.

Peace, Jim

Back