Are my unit spoiled?

st33l

I have bought a focusrite penta platinum preset stereo compressor from someone in internet a while ago. I havent tried it until now. When i connecting my mic to the input and singing, there is only one level meter working. 1 for input but also 1 for output.

Should it be like that? I thought both meters should work on both in/out.

so you meen its nothing wrong with my unit? OMG maybe i should feel ashamed now:0 I am anyway a little bit confused. There is 1 micinput and another instrument input, do you meen if i connect both, there should be 2 vu meters that is active? hope you understand my lousy english and thanks for reply

Last edited:
it's a stereo unit so one vu's for the right channel and the other is for the left channel.

Ok. Then i understand that i should route this unit (my 2 outputs)to my next unit wich is a TC Helicon voiceworks plus. But on the rear side it has just one input and it says mono balanced input. do i need an balanced kable with a split unbalanced kable in the other end to get this to work right?
Im very pleased of your response...im not good at all in this routing thing as you can see

yes you would need a splitter to join the two signals into one mono signal.

Not totally sure that's a good idea though ..... if you're gonna be mixing a guitar signal with a vocal signal I can't see that working into the TC because you'd have the exact same FX and EQ and levels and such on both the guitar and the vocal.
What exactly are you gonna run into it?
And I'm walking out the door to go out of town. I won't be able to respond 'till late tonight.

yes the main thing i want to use is vocals through this units, but i guess i want to go through the penta when i record bass and also i guess from your reply i should disconnect TC Helicon when recording bass. So if i can guess one more time :)

For vocals i should use this splitted balanced-unbalanced cable (wich i have to go out and buy now) and then just diconnect the TC Helicon when recording bass, right? Or to go even further. Can i not just bypass the Helicon when i will record the bass?

And then i have to route one more splitcable from helicon/penta when i connect to the soundcard? Or should i connect left and right monocables to 2 different channels of my fireface soundcard?
Thanks again for your time

Last edited:
you could bypass the Helicon but you should be able to simply select some bypass mode on the TC and not have to disconnect.
Also ..... there is no reason to use both outs on the Penta if you're only recording a single thing, voice or bass.
So pick a channel of the Penta and run a mono cord from that channel to the mono input of the Helicon. And simply use that channel for either one, changing to the appropriate settings for voice or bass, depending on which you're recording. And there should be have some way to set the Helicon where it's not active for recording bass.

I tried a little bit of this yesterday and i could just hear my voice in one ear, also when only 1 vu meter were active i thought that something in the penta unit was spoiled. Its a little bit annoying when singing and just hearing the voice in one speaker.

Last edited:
well where are you getting your headphone signal from?

It shouldn't be a problem getting a mono signal in both ears ..... you simply pan it to the center.

i havent tried it with headphones yet. I routed it from penta-helicon-fireface 800 and listen when testing to sing out to my adam a7 monitors. I havent even opened up cubase cus i wanted to test it like this and see if i could get something out of my new gear. There is something on the rearpanel of the penta wich it stands sidechain but i dont know if i need this output. I can just get it to sound in one monitor. sorry about my bad english

well, I do all my recording in an analog type set up so some of the interface stuff I'm not directly familiar with but ..... you're gonna want to get the signal for your monitors from whatever part of your setup you use for mixing. So let's say you record a track of voice and then another track and then you add a guitar and bass ...... all one track at a time. When it comes time to say, mix it down to a CD ...... you'll have to be able to mix all those tracks together to get a final stereo mix. THAT'S where you want to get your monitor signal from and that will allow you to pan mono signals anywhere you want including right in the center which would give you sound out of both monitors.
For you that's gonna be whereever the mixing section is in Cubase. Sorry I can't be specific but I've never used Cubase.
I believe there's a Cubase forum here so you should ask how to get a mono signal monitored in both sides.

And you don't need to apologise for your english .... you speak it better than I speak any other language so you're communicating just fine.

Ok. how it is now, i connecting a phantompower mic in to the penta (activate +48v) and talking. Only one of my input vu meter is dancing. As i understand this is nothing strange, right?...when looking at output meters its the same and thats alright too, right. At this point i use ONLY penta/fireface/adam a7, and i can hear only my voice in one of the monitors. I have connected a balanced cable from rear panel channel left (mono) of the penta in to a channel to my fireface 800. I hear just one monitor talking back to me. Is this also right? I havent open any host, just listen to my voice in windows 7 64 bit

Back