my patchbay questions

SilentSound

Ok. I am balancing my entire recording system via balanced patchbay. Every mic pre xlr will go to trs and to a patchbay but i need to know what kind to get. I already have one that i use for unbalancd stuff like effects and some compressors. all of my compressors have xlr's and 1/4" unbalanced so i want to have the unbalanced on the patchbay i already have(hosa) and get a new one so i don't have to run behind everything to record. What is normalized and all that stuff???? I need a start with this routing crap or i'll never do it.

In my opinion, ADC and Switchcraft are the best patchbays. Also, I recommend on purchasing some pretty nice cable when it comes to patchbays (actually for everthing, but...). I own 3 144 point ADC bantam (TT) patchbays and use Mogami line cable for my outboard equipment and Canare for microphone cables. I can atest to cable making a significant difference because I'm a former Hosa and Proco user myself; worlds of difference. Also, I decieded to go the de-normalled route to minimize confusion since it's a 432 point bay.

OK. WHat is normalled, half-normalled... I just want one patchbay that is trs all the way. how do you run it all? I only have a tl audio quad pre and a stereo digitech pre. then a few compressors with xlr's. i also have a joe meek C2 with balanced outs on the way. I will be able to use the balanced ins as normal unbalanced 1/4" ins if i want too, right?

Silent, I've got the AP brand (same as Re-An only less price for some reason). Works fine for me.

It is selectable between half normalled and denormalled, and can be multed with another set of points by patching 2 modules together.

Normalling explanation:
Assume that you have brought a mixer insert point to the rear of the patchbay. You plug the send into the top jack, and the return into the bottom. A normalled setup will connect the top and bottom jacks on the back UNLESS something is plugged into the front and which time it will open that connection.
Half normalled allows you to just "tap" into the signal's output without breaking the rear connection (like a "Y" cord). Patch bays are usually wired with the signal out above the signal in, so you'd tap into the top jack for half normalled.

Denormalled provides no default connection across the rear jacks.

I have my mic pre's patch so that the mic input and preamp output are run to a single denormalled module (wouldn't want to connect the preamp's output to it's input). The inserts are run to normalled modules, so that even if I don't have a device inserted, they don't open the signal.

Hope this helps.

Unless you need a balanced patch bay you might want to look at the behringer patch bay. It is the only bay that I know of that has swiches!! on top to change between norm, half-norm, perallel, and open! and it only costs about $75

Back