MOTU 8pre questions

liv_rong

Knows very little
So, it has 8 analog inputs, plus 8 ADAT inputs and outs. Could I plug, for example, an ART MPA Gold Pro into the motu using the digital ins and also a samson c-valve using the digital ins? It says in the description that it doesnt "eat" up any analog channels, but if I plugged those two units in to the digital ins would it then send those three tracks through firewire making it a total of 11 inputs into my computer? does this make sense what I am asking?

any info is GREATLY appreciated. I cant seem to find info on this. I know the motu has two digital ins and outs making an additional 8 channels, but Im not sure if I could set it up like this.

Also, in the software for the motu can you change it to 48 instead of 96 for the digital inputs? or does digital only run on 96??

thank you very much. im trying to do a lot of research before I buy this thing so I dont make the same mistake I did with my multimix.

So, it has 8 analog inputs, plus 8 ADAT inputs and outs. Could I plug, for example, an ART MPA Gold Pro into the motu using the digital ins and also a samson c-valve using the digital ins? It says in the description that it doesnt "eat" up any analog channels, but if I plugged those two units in to the digital ins would it then send those three tracks through firewire making it a total of 11 inputs into my computer? does this make sense what I am asking?

Three problems:

1. Unless I missed something in the description, the ART MPA Gold Pro doesn't have a digital output.

2. The Samson does not output ADAT. It outputs S/PDIF. The protocols are not compatible, and ADAT is optical, while S/PDIF uses a coaxial (75 ohm copper, like cable TV with a different connector) cable.

3. Even if they both could output ADAT, the ADAT protocol carries eight channels on a single optical cable, not separate connections. Thus, all eight channels have to come from a single source. (The same thing is true for S/PDIF, except that S/PDIF carries two channels instead of eight.)

I see how I know nothing, thanks for strightening that out for me.

also, i meant the digital mpa, i thought it was called the pro, guess I was wrong.

well, that kinda sucks I guess, my plans are foilled:(

i was just looking for a wat to free up the analog inputs so it would be easier for routing. ill still get it, it is really more than what I need. i would never even use that many channels at once anyway.

thanks again

Back