motu 828 is "dead" after i ran 220 volt trough it..

earworm

ok, i did something stupid,
i took my rackrider out of my rack today cause i need it for a live gig,
but then i couldn't listen to music cause my motu 828 was connected to that rack rider (110 volt outputs),
so i deceided to plug the motu in the 'normal 220volt wall wart',
BUT i think i forgot to switch the motu to 220V first,
so it was dead from the moment i tried to turn the unit on,

now i wonder, is there a fuse in the unit? did only the transfo get burned, or the entire electrical circuit? i mailed motu but didn't get a response back yet

i got no idea of how much it 'll cost to let Motu repair my card,
anyone got expierience with the motu support?

cheers,
earworm

I've always wondered what Mark of the Unicorn meant. Is it horse shit? Sorry I usually have advice to go along with joking around like that, but I haven't ever slammed 220 volts into a 110 piece of equipment. Hopefully it is a fuse. That's one of the things fuses are for, but not everything has a fuse within it. Have you opened it up?

That's why the fuse is there. Open it up and take a look before you waste time sending it back. If it's not the fuse, you may be in for some serious damage.

i opened the box, there's a fuse in there,
but normally its got a tiny wire in it , this one's got a very thick wire and it doesn't look like its "broken" or burned out..
but i'll see if i can find a new one and replace it, with my fingers crossed...

earworm said:
ok, i did something stupid,
i took my rackrider out of my rack today cause i need it for a live gig,
but then i couldn't listen to music cause my motu 828 was connected to that rack rider (110 volt outputs),
so i deceided to plug the motu in the 'normal 220volt wall wart',
BUT i think i forgot to switch the motu to 220V first,
so it was dead from the moment i tried to turn the unit on,

now i wonder, is there a fuse in the unit? did only the transfo get burned, or the entire electrical circuit? i mailed motu but didn't get a response back yet

i got no idea of how much it 'll cost to let Motu repair my card,
anyone got expierience with the motu support?

cheers,
earworm

If you have a wall-wart, then you most likely have blown the transformer and not the Motu. Change wall-arts and try it, it will most likely be fine (in 99.9% of the cases).

i friend of mine had an issue with an 828 due to a power surge - (i think that was the model #) - i think Motu basically gave him a new one for way cheap...like 80 bucks or something.

thumbs up on that kinda service.

give 'em a ring.

Mike

Back