Most Professional sound, for the money?

shAkEz_gk

Ok, I need to buy 2 things.
A soundcard, and a pre-amp.
I no longer want a soundcard with a pre built in, so this gives me more options.

Basically, Im looking to spend NO MORE than $1,000 on both.

I was thinking of the Avalon U5 pre, I heard great things about it.

However, what do you suggest?
I will not need a pre with multiple mic in's, as I will only be recording one track at a time, r&b/rap vocals ONLY.

So what would you suggest would be the most professional sounding setup for $1,000 or under?

Shakez,

The Avalon U5 is not a preamp for a mic ... it's meant for keyboards, bass and guitar. The M5 by Avalon is a mic preamp, but its a bit more at $1450ish.

The Grace is a decent choice in this price range. Off course the usual suspect, the FMR RNP (2 channels) for a little less than the Grace.

Shakez, you never responded when I asked what gear you were using before it got stolen.

We need to know, so we can point you in the right direction.

MP

Oh, ok, my bad, I was thinking it was a mic pre-amp.

Before, I had an Aardvark Q10, and I WAS going to buy a MOTU 828mkII, but was hoping for better quality, even though the coverters on it are very nice.

Echo Mia soundcard ($200) and a Focusrite Trakmaster ($400) with the optional analog-digital card ($150), linked by a SP/DIF cable.

I use these with keys, guitar, vocals, bass, and the sound is really very clean and transparent - musically pleasing.

You'll like what the compressor and the tube emulation in the Trakmaster does for electric guitar (DI'd - yes - try it before you criticize it).

Into n-tracks (www.fasoft.com - $70) or similar I find this is a great little recording package for the money.

If you want a reverb to incorporate with this digital setup try the SP/DIF based Lexicon MPX550 or MPX200 - after the Focusrite but before the Mia recording inputs.

Prices for the hardware are in US dollars and are based on those at musiciansfriend.com - your local dealer may offer better deals.

As ever - try before you buy - to ensure it sounds good to your ears with your instruments / mic / voice.

LucidOne/L22
RNP/Grace101

and please stop asking the same questions over and over again.

Al

To those of you who help this clown - his very own words:

These guys don't focus on hip hop, and are gear freaks, so anything we have, that's less than what they have, is never good enough to them...Dont let these people tell you that you cant get good sounding material with cheap equipment, I recorded a song, with an $8.00 karaoke mic, and a soundblaster live card, and it sounded better than most songs these people on here that have been here for a little while have put out....It all has to do with your production skills...

From this I would suggest you look at Sony boomboxes with built-in mics. Dont go for anything over $50. People who tell you to spend more than $50 are losers. You can get a much better sound with a Sony boombox inline mic than an Avalon pre. Of course you know this. This works especially great for hiphop since you are the only one on this board who deals with hiphop. The rest of us who do are mistaken
So - definately - Sony boomboxes with cassette. Sound awesome and its portable to boot! Cant beat that!! Thats the real way to get professional sound. Dont listen to the "gear freaks" man.

You have to love the "All the people on this board are ignorant elitist dicks - dont bother asking them questions" in one thread and "I need help - what should I do" in the other thread.
Id love to see the Shakes/Hottsauce/Prospect(VA) supergroup. Break out those Labtec mics, Casio keyboards, and Fisher Price Xylophones!

one day this guy regrets buying a Lynx card, the next day he gets robbed, and now he is advocating SB cards and boombox mics? I'm still trying to follow his logic....

I thought the whole robbery thing was odd, maybe so we would pity him enough to reveal the secrets of ultra-pro, ultra-cheap gear. . .

mallcore pop said:
I thought the whole robbery thing was odd, maybe so we would pity him enough to reveal the secrets of ultra-pro, ultra-cheap gear. . .

Hey...err...I just got my preamp nicked... :D

First off, who is prospect and hotsauce?
Theyre members here I will assume, because I think Ive seen prospect post in the mic section.

Second, I did not diss everyone here in that thread, I was simply letting the dude know, that everytime someone talks about some equipment that they wanna get, it seems certain people think its never good enough.

Yes, I did get robbed, rather anyone believes this or not, that's nothing of concern to me, Im just another name on the internet right?

Lastly, I appreciate the help everyone's given me, and to those with the attitudes, keep it comin, it adds spice to my time here

Well... there is a certain amount of gear snobbery, very true. But working through it just helps build critical thinking skills.

Haha. Nah really, my comment wasn't meant as an insult, merely a joke with mallcore. I hope you don't take offence :)

Good luck with the equipment

Back